Aquariums Without Lids

JeffM

I am seeing that the Waterbox style rimless aquariums are all the rage in Europe. I am also noticing that they seldom use a lid. I would be worried about jumpers, but it does not seem to be a concern with them. What are your thoughts?

The reason they are not concerned mostly has to do with plants.

I have swordtails which are notorious jumpers in several aquariums without lids, but all of these aquariums have a fair amount of plants at the top. The only swordtail I have lost to jumping this year jumped out of pond and dried up on the lawn.

I did lose a Vallisneria from one of my uncovered aquariums though.

20200730_2793.JPG.63494da4eea6b077367aee

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, JeffM said:

I am seeing that the Waterbox style rimless aquariums are all the rage in Europe. I am also noticing that they seldom use a lid. I would be worried about jumpers, but it does not seem to be a concern with them. What are your thoughts?

If you look in the corners, many of the rimless tanks have little blocks to support a different style of lid. Lots of the EU fish keepers are using lids, and they almost always remove them for pictures.  Lol

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I did lose a Vallisneria from one of my uncovered aquariums though.

20200730_2793.JPG.63494da4eea6b077367aee

😆 The closest thing I've had to plants jumping out of my tank is finding duckweed in my coffee, on my pants, the back of my phone, and once on a doorknob. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've had a couple of open-top aquariums over the years and only lost two fish to jumping. One, a clown killifish, happened to be found in a squashed flat stepped-on state by my kid just this morning. He seemed a bit despondent lately - the holiday season can be tough for some creatures.