Agressive Betta

stephk

Hi All,

Newbie here.... I set up a new 9 gallon tank and put my male Betta in, next day I got six ember tetras.  Well Betta is attacking and killing tetras one by one : ( I thought they were good and/or acceptable tank mate for him.  Anyone else have this problem? The Embers were juveniles and quite small, not sure if that had anything to do with it.  Maybe rasboras will do better or maybe he is just a very aggressive Betta and I should just let him have the tank to himself?  

Thanks!

• Like 1

I think the common refrain is that a betta's ability to put up with tankmates varies fish to fish. I have one betta who is fine in a large community tank (he's also blind, so that probably helps) and one who barely tolerates the few mystery snails who share his tank.

I've heard that some people have luck letting the other fish establish themselves in the tank before adding the betta, but some just don't tolerate other fish. Could try adding a few ghost shrimp to see if he'll put up with invertebrates. 

9 minutes ago, lefty o said:

some bettas are okay with other fish, but it sure seems that they are the old curmudgeon of the fish tank world.

True that. I have a tank that has what normally are pretty peaceful fish but one of mine is a secret bully. I know it's one of the males that goes crazy when the females are carrying eggs, but I can't pinpoint which one.  I guess that one is just going to be a species tank instead of a small community.