Stocking a Tank

Danny LeVeck

I’m trying to figure out what would work in a 29 gallon tank. I haven’t got it yet, so just throwing out my initial thought to see if it’s too much. It likely is, but I’d like to go in this direction making whatever adjustments would make for a healthy tank. 

6 tiger barbs

6 cherry barbs

6 zebra danios 

6 corydoras

1 clown pleco 

I think that could work depending on your filtration. I'm working on setting up a 30g and my plan is similar to yours minus the pleco. That's the only thing I'm unsure of since I know some plecos can get to a pretty decent size.  If you aren't dead set on that I might look at something else or leave it off entirely and get another couple corys.

I wouldn't do two different species of barbs in a tank this size. Tiger barbs especially benefit best from being in large schools of their own kinds. It tends to keep them better focused on themselves and not the other fish in the tank. 12 tiger barbs would be a trip to watch, they're active fish.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Alison said:

I think that could work depending on your filtration. I'm working on setting up a 30g and my plan is similar to yours minus the pleco. That's the only thing I'm unsure of since I know some plecos can get to a pretty decent size.  If you aren't dead set on that I might look at something else or leave it off entirely and get another couple corys.

That sounds good. Clown plecos get 3.5 inches, they’re the smaller of the plecos. I was planning on getting filtration for 60 g. 

• Like 1