Ich caused by temp drop?

Bucio

Two days ago my heater went out at night. It was a digital hygger brand one. It was saying it was out of the water when it was not. Anyways, i noticed this immediately when i woke up. I checked the temperature and it was 82. Not bad since I usually keep it at 84.

i couldnt do anything right then and there because of work and being 5am no store was open. So i waited until i got off of work to buy a heater. By then the temperature had gotten down to 78. Now my question is. Is the 6 degrees in temp drop enough to cause ich to fish? Today i checked them and quite a few of them have it. Treatment has started. But i find it so wild that about 10 hours of a slow temp drop causes so much damage. Since when i bought them they were kept at around 76-78 

Is that what caused my ich out break or could it be something els?

No at such a small drop of tempeture its probably not from it, but it depends what fish you have?

Have you added any fish recently?

Tips on treating ich:
-Dose medications every day along with salt

-Do waterhchanges every other day

-I have never adujsted the temp to treat ich and would actually advise against it

Just now, James Black said:

No at such a small drop of tempeture its probably not from it, but it depends what fish you have?

Have you added any fish recently?

Tips on treating ich:
-Dose medications every day along with salt

-Do waterhchanges every other day

-I have never adujsted the temp to treat ich and would actually advise against it

No fish added recently. I have cardinal tetras, female bettas, 2 german blue rams, and a few algae eaters. I started treatment with super ich cure from api and the instructions are different from your suggestions. Almost total opposite lol. I will finish that treatment cycle. 

iv never had an ich problem and this is the only thing that has stress my fish out recently. 

44 minutes ago, Bucio said:

No fish added recently. I have cardinal tetras, female bettas, 2 german blue rams, and a few algae eaters. I started treatment with super ich cure from api and the instructions are different from your suggestions. Almost total opposite lol. I will finish that treatment cycle. 

iv never had an ich problem and this is the only thing that has stress my fish out recently. 

Yes the API ich treatment works very well. I have used with dosing it every day and cured the ich within a few days.

Could have been the straw that broke the back, or a coincidence.

Most fish have been exposed to Ich and tolerate low level infections.

Add too many stressors and it can flare up “out of nowhere”.

This is why I treat all fish for Ich in QT. Short term stress for long term health.

Do a little research on the life cycle of ich. You’ll find out it has stages where almost any med can’t touch it. That’s why treatments can and should be over weeks, not days.

Edited by AdamTill
  • Like 1