Polarizing Filters

Streetwise

I setup some outdoor tubs for my 80+ parents this year, and it has been a great way to visit in these times. I have had some fun trying to film the tubs, but my iPhone keeps focusing on the reflection of the sky and trees above, unless I put my body in the way to make a shadow. I tried an umbrella, but it was somewhat translucent.

I researched polarizing filters, and with new iPhones on the horizon, I didn't want to spend more on my current model.

I like using a gimbal, and I have a DJI Osmo Mobile 3, so I picked up the DJI Osmo Pocket, along with the Expansion Kit. I looked into various filter kits, since they just attach magnetically to the Osmo Pocket, which is super cool. I almost spent on a ten-lens kit, but held back and and picked the PolarPro Cinema Series Filter 3-Pack.

I did a test video late-Sunday with the middle filter, but the conditions were not great for testing. I got a definite reduction in reflections, but sacrificed brightness. I think I need more daylight, and I still need to try the other two filters.

The filters are circular polarizing filters, so I think you can rotate them. I only had a little bit of time to test before I had to drive back, but I'll update when I try again.

Cheers,

Jason

PS, photographers, take us to school.

9B53433B-1F40-454F-A22F-D3474EE95685_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Streetwise
Photo Thumbnail
  • Like 1

I was worried about that. I'll still play around with them to learn more. I'm glad I didn't go all out with the ten-pack.

I did some underwater tests with my iPhone a few weeks ago, but I left the case on, so the bubbles escaping that were pretty distracting, but fish and shrimp were quite visible. I tested with and without flash, and it seemed better with flash off.

What do you like for underwater filming? The Osmo Action, or one of the GoPro models, or something else?

Thanks!