Ick/ich will never leave my tank and I always get it

Darby

Hello all.  Every time I start a new tank I seem to get ich.  I do not buy my fish from larger pet stores I support local aquarium stores so it’s not coming from those places.  I do not want to use any chemical treatments in order to get rid of it. I’ve tried turning up the temperature to speed the cycle and using Aquarium salt but that doesn’t seem to be doing anything. I’ve also left the lights off and cover the tank during these times. I’m not sure what else to try?  I really love aquariums but this is seriously getting old.

Mom and pop shops will still sell you fish with Ich since they probably get their fish from the same local wholesalers as bigger stores.

They're far less likely to sell you fish with an ACTIVE Ich infestation, but if they don’t have a medicated quarantine program like the Coop uses the fish will likely have low level infections.

Thats generally not an issue for low stressed fish, but throw in a huge shock, or just the stress of transport and adapting to a new environment, and you have your Ich outbreak.

It’s for this reason that I treat all incoming fish with three rounds of Ich medication whether I see cysts or not. No level level infection in any tank to flare up later, and I’ve never had to deal with one since.

if you don’t want to use meds that’s your choice, but I’d at least use a heat treatment etc and potentially expect to deal with Ich in stressed fish in the future.

Edited by AdamTill

Some local fish store will test your water for a couple dollars  but I would recommend investing in some test kits ick X might cause some  discoloration I would try API super ich cure and salt at 1table spoon for 2gallons

Edited by Colu

Ich -x worked miracles on my tank. My green severum was in such rough shape I thought he would die. Now he is as healthy as a horse, though you should also treat for fin rot. Check if your tank is over crowded byresearcging the minimum tank size of each fish. Over crowded tanks can cause stress,  which is the leading cause of ich. Treat your tanks as if ich is always present, as it probably always is. If you use salt, make sure it is compatible with the fish type you have in your tank. Lastly.l, separate any fish that may be fighting,  really monitor your tank closely for signs of fighting.  AQUARIUM co-op actually has a great video on YouTube about how to treat ich

just because you got the fish from a fish store, doesn't mean they wont have ich. usaully the fish stores and pet stores will get there fish from the same place. I have never used salt to treat ich so I wouldnt know. If the reason why you dont want to use meds is because of plants, you shouldnt be worried. If you apply the 2 tsp per gallon rule for salt, your plants would have most likely died. So I'm assuming if your plants are not dead (assuming you have plants) you cant get rid of it because you arent dosing enough salt. ich x says its plant safe, and I beleive cory has said that it was too.

As to why it keeps on coming back, maybe because of cross contamination. When setting up a new tank, do you use any old equitment that you may have used in a old tank? 

Do you QT your fish?

Edited by James Black

On 12/17/2020 at 8:16 PM, Darby said:

Khuli loaches, corydoras, platys, rummy nose tetras, and platy fry inside a breeder tank.  I have no idea what my water stats are.  What an affordable way to test?  I’ve been doing weekly water changes of 25%

Thanks

tetra test strips work great!

I can confirm that ich-X does not stain driftwood, at least not permanently. I used it with great success on my 55 gallon and I haven’t had any ich outbreak since. (knock on driftwood!)

I read somewhere that how many days you need to use ich-x depends on the temp of your water, since at lower temps the parasite has a slower life cycle. At 82 F they said I had to use it for 12 days. So 12 days in a row I did a 30% water change and dosed the meds according to the instructions. It was a ton of effort but it worked! 

I agree that getting some water test kit would be a big help as well. I use the API test kit with the test tubes and dropper bottles but the tetra test strips are a lot easier to use.

Edited by Hobbit
More thoughts :)