Logan_C

I'm working on setting up a fish room and was wondering if any one has suggestions on thermometers. I would like ones that can hook to wifi so that I can look at tank temps on my phone. I'm planning on around 15 tanks so looking for something pretty cheap Thanks for the help!

If you’re talking about room temp I really like the Xiaomi Multisensors. They’re cheap, reliable, verifiably accurate and do temp, humidity and pressure (surprisingly neat to track for spawning etc). Look to Gearbest etc for sources. They also make great water leak sensors, motion sensors (it’s neat when the tank lights come on when you walk in etc), door sensors etc.

They have their own app, but I run Home Assistant and tie everything in there. Then you get neat history tracking, can tie in smart switches etc.

I even normally run their vibration sensors on my air pumps to have a fail safe against pump failure, but I don’t have them working at the moment.

AE70A569-D40F-470F-B9C4-5343DFDB3B09.png

D0C97AB5-AD82-4CB5-AEBC-1646F9DC3D58.png

Edited by AdamTill

10 hours ago, Logan_C said:

I'm working on setting up a fish room and was wondering if any one has suggestions on thermometers. I would like ones that can hook to wifi so that I can look at tank temps on my phone. I'm planning on around 15 tanks so looking for something pretty cheap Thanks for the help!

I use something that solves half of your problem, the half that allows remote sensing and control over your aquariums parameters. I use a Neptune Apex. Here is what the phone app part looks like screen captured off of my phone:

IMG_3630.PNG.30ef7d9b346d585103fd4994f5baf9e4.PNG

The half it doesn't solve is the cheap part, as it is definitely not cheap.

But even if you find a $50 wi-fi thermometer and buy 15 of them, that could run $750 (about the price of an Apex). The Apex can monitor and control almost anything aquarium related and becomes price competitive when applied to many aquariums or aquariums with valuable livestock.

If I never ever measured any parameter I don't think my aquarium keeping would suffer. Sometimes knowing pH or ammonia causes you to do more harm than good. The reason I use products like the Apex is I like technology and combining sensors and controllers with fishkeeping allows me to combine both hobbies.

• Like 1

I have a digital thermometer sitting alongside two of my tanks showing the room temperature that's viewable on my Wyze Pan Cam. Only one tank has a heater, but the rest are room temp, so I can monitor the room temp just by taking a look remotely on my Wyze cam. If I put a digital thermometer in my heated tank I could even monitor that remotely. With multiple tanks it's often cheaper and more efficient to just heat the room than each tank.

• Administrators

I got a thermometer I can connect to a logger and then connect via Bluetooth. But I haven’t found a good WiFi solution yet. Unfortunately since I’m not near the device I can’t show the data, but I am tracking a heater I am testing.

i do want to be able to get alerts and such about temp, but need to replicate it like 100x in my fish room. Something like apex is cost prohibitive for that.

99C3B728-F4AE-4417-9DBE-434D159EECB6.png

42 minutes ago, Cory said:

I got a thermometer I can connect to a logger and then connect via Bluetooth. But I haven’t found a good WiFi solution yet. Unfortunately since I’m not near the device I can’t show the data, but I am tracking a heater I am testing.

i do want to be able to get alerts and such about temp, but need to replicate it like 100x in my fish room. Something like apex is cost prohibitive for that.

I wonder if the Xiaomi Mi Flora would work? It’s a plant sensor technically, but that means it’s waterproof. Does temp, “humidity”, light levels, conductivity etc. Not dirt cheap, but at $25 closer to and I’m sure you could source them over there in bulk cheaper.

Conductivity over time might be a rough proxy for water quality, and light levels might be interesting to tune the pot lights.

It can log to a local data network via Bluetooth, has a mobile app, or you could feed the 100 you need into something like Home Assistant and have a central database to examine with a custom dashboard. Add Node Red and you could configure custom alert conditions to send emails, push notifications, Alexa voice alerts etc as you please.

Home Assistant runs locally too, so even if your internet goes funny it’ll still record data to send when the wifi comes back.

Edited by AdamTill

Just now, Daniel
10 hours ago, Logan_C said:

I use something that solves half of your problem, the half that allows remote sensing and control over your aquariums parameters. I use a Neptune Apex. Here is what the phone app part looks like screen captured off of my phone:

IMG_3630.PNG.30ef7d9b346d585103fd4994f5baf9e4.PNG

The half it doesn't solve is the cheap part, as it is definitely not cheap.

But even if you find a $50 wi-fi thermometer and buy 15 of them, that could run $750 (about the price of an Apex). The Apex can monitor and control almost anything aquarium related and becomes price competitive when applied to many aquariums or aquariums with valuable livestock.

If I never ever measured any parameter I don't think my aquarium keeping would suffer. Sometimes knowing pH or ammonia causes you to do more harm than good. The reason I use products like the Apex is I like technology and combining sensors and controllers with fishkeeping allows me to combine both hobbies.

Without breaking the rules suggesting competition I’m really interested in the sound of this is there a website

14 minutes ago, Casual aquatics said:

Without breaking the rules suggesting competition I’m really interested in the sound of this is there a website

No worries. When you buy a Neptune Apex controller your data can be viewed on their website and on a phone app too. All you have to do is give them an initial $800 and your data and they will show it to you. 🙂

Here is a link to an earlier discussion:

20200717_1307.JPG.6bf53e7eed2f68364d714f

The main drawback is that it is expensive.

• Thanks 1