Need another type of plecostomus

FishyJames

Do you know what has been causing your issues? Bristlenose plecos are one of the hardiest species out there besides commons in my opinion. Anything that’s gonna be on the smaller end other than them and maybe snowball plecos are gonna be sensitive and expensive. What temperature is your tank at? What else is in the tank? What size tank? Is it new or well established. What’re your parameters? Is there driftwood in the tank? What have you been feeding your plecos? All of these are gonna be important no matter what species you keep. In general, plecos like warmer temperatures in the high 70s to the low or even mid 80s, are constant grazers with a high bio load, and need some sort of wood in their diet. Bristlenose are the supreme algae eaters of the plecos, with other species ranging from herbivores all the way to carnivores. If we can solve why you’re not having luck with bristlenose, then you can keep a wide variety of species, but in my research and opinion they’re the hardiest of the smaller plecos.

I have a 55 gallon planted tank.  I have 6 albino Cory's and 2 emerald Cory's, 8 black tetras, 4 platty's, 6 guppies and a large piece of driftwood.  The last 2 bristlenose lasted about 2 weeks.  Water checks good per the api test and all fish are doing well.  I fed the pleco algae wafers and he hung out on the driftwood most of the time.  My fish have not been quarantined, are plecos more susceptible to internal parasites?