Setting up a new tank but need cycled media advice

Ricky D

I am setting up a brand new 20L for guppy fry in like 1-2 weeks.  Only problem is that the HOB that I bought does not fit in the space where I am going to put the tank in so I cant steal media from my other tanks (sponge, floss, ceramic).  My only other option is to put in a sponge filter.  Was thinking of maybe zip-tying some sponge or floss to the sponge filter and running it that way or just dropping in some ceramic rings in the tank. Any suggestions on how or what to do here in this situation? 

You have a few options

Set up the sponge you are going to use in one of your other tanks and move it when the time comes.

Use the new sponge like an intake sponge if you have a Hob or canister. Cramming the new sponge into the back of a Hob or canister will also work.

I would also recommend taking a scoop of substrate from an existing tank and tossing it in the new tank if possible.

I usually put a new sponge filter in and then squeeze some “sponge gravy” out of one of my other filters. The gravy clears up fairly quickly but hasn’t ever hurt any fish.

(I heard the sponge gravy on Bentley’s live stream and last night and have been waiting patiently to use it! Thank you very much for giving me that opportunity!)