Water changing mood

Nathan04

When  water change day arrives, (sat or sun) I regret it...Sometimes it is hard to be motivated although you know it is necessary...But once I start, it inspires me to get creative...rearranging/improving my scape, trimming plants, etc. During water changes, I must listen to Aquarium Coop Youtube streams and others...making water changes very enjoyable and educational(great background noise for water changes). Before I know it, I'm done with a 'fun' activity! And there is that satisfaction knowing that your tank is well-maintained and  'looking good' when finished! I'm glad I only have 1 large tank plus a 5 gallon quarantine to tend. A fish room would be too much work for me!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Ohio FishPlant Dude said:

When  water change day arrives, (sat or sun) I regret it...Sometimes it is hard to be motivated although you know it is necessary...But once I start, it inspires me to get creative...rearranging/improving my scape, trimming plants, etc. During water changes, I must listen to Aquarium Coop Youtube streams and others...making water changes very enjoyable and educational(great background noise for water changes). Before I know it, I'm done with a 'fun' activity! And there is that satisfaction knowing that your tank is well-maintained and  'looking good' when finished! I'm glad I only have 1 large tank plus a 5 gallon quarantine to tend. A fish room would be too much work for me!

I always think about that. I would LOVE to have a fish room to get the creative side of me going but I don't know if I could do water changes when necessary on that many tanks

• Like 1

The first few moments of water changing make me feel a tad dreadful, but once I continue on, I enjoy it, especially with some quiet music or an audio-oriented video playing. I’ve been pretty rusty at it all, and water changes cause me a lot of fatigue and pain, so I take breaks and make sure to not do too much at once. At the moment, I am doing it by bowl and bucket. But, I plan on buying a python siphon in the upcoming week to make it a little easier. 
Lately, I’ve been at the nitrite spike phase of cycling my tank. It’ll skyrocket daily to over 5ppm. I’m letting the ammonia deplete and I’ve been aiding the process with large water changes, almost daily haha. So water changes have been a bit of an adjustment lately and have tired me out 😅

• Like 1

I don't mind doing water changes on the tanks in my basement fish room. Everything is right there, sink, drain water into sump pump crock to drain outside. But, my big display tank upstairs is a pain and I don't do as often as I should, because I have to haul my python and all the stuff upstairs, hook it up to sink, drag 30 feet of hose through the house, etc. the tank is 24" tall, I have to stand on a step stool to scrape the glass all the way down to substrate, or to trim plants and put in root tabs. 

• Like 2

I normally do a 10% WC 2x/week due to lugging gallons around. I don't mind it too much, except if I miss one (because of other fishy activities) and have to do a 20% WC. Then I have to deal with refilling all these jugs the same day, too.

20201219_100339.jpg

• Like 2

Water changes haven't bothered me as much since I started using my fish cart.  The cart is still in it's early design stage, but it includes a switched power strip and a water pump so I don't have to lift 5 gallon buckets over my head. I can do other things while the water pumps and the whole thing can disappear into a closet.

I saw George Farmer use a water pump attached to a hose in a Youtube video once! I must revisit that...

3 hours ago, Tanked said:

Water changes haven't bothered me as much since I started using my fish cart.  The cart is still in it's early design stage, but it includes a switched power strip and a water pump so I don't have to lift 5 gallon buckets over my head.

I need to do that too!  Tanked...Please  show a pic of your  cart for ideas!

Now I feel almost weird, cause I have spread out my Water changes over the week. Five tanks from Sunday to Thursday. I get some extra time with the tank of the day and it doesn't become so massive as if I should have done them all the same day. Also I feel it keeps me more in touch with the hobby. It is the thing (and the feeding) that keeps me connected. Water change and then some time enjoying  the tank all nice and pearling (hopefully). 

• Like 2

Just now, Mitch Norton

Water pump for refilling would drastically change my water changing experience. I need to do that. 

Home depot small pond pump. 9.99.

I enjoy my water change days. Just me and the fish. RO water gets carried upstairs a gallon or 2 at a time during the week then put in 5 gallon buckets at the side of the tanks mixed with tap then pumped in.

I'm working up to it.

Waited for a warm day since I currently get water from the outside garden faucet.

Filled my water barrel on Wednesday, added dechlorinator, turned on the heaters and pump.

0.32 mg/L ammonia in there Thursday.

Down to 0.20 mg/L ammonia Saturday. I threw some clinoptilolite in to see if it'll help. First time I've tried it for this purpose.

When ammonia gets to zero it's WC time.

• Like 1