Stocking ideas for a 20H

Squid88

Hello, I have a 20H and I have been contemplating whether I should add fish to my tank or not. 

what's in my tank so far;

• 2 pink Ramshorn snails (plus who knows how many baby snails)
  • 4 horned nerite snails
  • bladder snails (hitch hiked off of plants)
  • an assassin snail
  • 7 cherry shrimp
  • plants (hornwort, Val, amazon sword, japan, java moss, windelov java fern, dwarf hair grass, banana plant, 2 stem plants I don't know the name of)
  • sponge filter, aquatop 50, amazon cheap plant light

I am planning on adding about 10-15 more cherry shrimp to the tank. I have been considering adding some chili rasboras or(and) neon tetras to my tank, but I am concerned about possible aggression as the cherry shrimp are my favorite to watch. 

my water parameters are;

ph. 7.2 

gh. 161

kh. 71

PXL_20201216_162950184.jpg

PXL_20201216_163006756.jpg

PXL_20201216_163029869.jpg

PXL_20201216_162928285.jpg

• Like 1

I'm down to 8 this morning. I am not a huge fan of endlers or guppies. I like how schooling fish move around the tank. Any ideas of a fish similar in size to the neons but with more blue? I am looking for common fish since my LFS is not exclusively a fish store. 

Edited by Squid88

• Administrators

I see you’ve got some brown algae which is great for your snails and shrimp. If you wanted to keep it at bay, a single reticulated hill stream would do it and they are a neat looking fish as well. Otherwise the tank is a good one. I love to watch cherry shrimps. Was my desktop aquarium for many years.

1 hour ago, Squid88 said:

Any ideas of a fish similar in size to the neons but with more blue? I am looking for common fish since my LFS is not exclusively a fish store. 

Doesn't get much more common than neon tetras. There are other varieties of neons that can give the effect of more blue by having no red, but they are not as common. Check out the green neon tetra for instance.

I think you can probably just keep adding neons for more blue impact. They will want some medication when you first get them and some quality frozen food to get them boosted up, I have found, if you want to minimize losses. Some batches get very sick and others are little rocks, I have not figured out a good way to predict that.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Squid88 said:

. . . Any ideas of a fish similar in size to the neons but with more blue? . . 

Black neon tetras are one of my favorites.  They have a very dark blue band running the length of their bodies, with a lighter blue band above it that's fluorescent when the light hits it just right.  They also seem to have fewer health problems than the common neons.