How many pumps of Easygreen yield 20ppm? Or can Adam do math...

AdamTill

59 minutes ago, ChefConfit said:

Also keep in mind that some dechlorinators and other products we use are known to screw with tests. I think prime is one of them. 

True story. I think it mainly affects the ammonia test, but I don’t know that as a fact. Most often I reach for test strips anyway so I’m not super concerned.

2 hours ago, ChefConfit said:

Also keep in mind that some dechlorinators and other products we use are known to screw with tests. I think prime is one of them. 

I could be wrong but I think ammonia is a byproduct of the dechlorinator neutralizing chlorine

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 6:51 AM, Mitch Norton said:

I’ve been told that Easy Green will increase nitrates 3 ppm with the 1 pump per 10 gallon. That is the base dose for the average aquarist. Depending on your bio load you may need to use more or less. 

That's super interesting to know, really wished that was printed on the bottle or said more. 

Very interesting thread you have created here Adam! Definitely gonna help me fine tune my dosing now that its not just a ball park guess.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 7:00 PM, AdamTill said:

Yup, I don’t doubt it. I know there are nitrate free commercial ferts, but I figure once you’re at the point of needing those may as well just dose dry ferts (plus they're ever so much cheaper).

I’m thinking I might start dosing an EI solution made up for daily dosing of the equivalent of 5ppm weekly. I’m going rogue and using a very rich substrate in my next tank, and so I don’t think too much column fertilizer will be required. Going to start a journal tonight if I get a second.

If you're planning to go very rich substrate next time, maybe try the ADA approach (lean dosing). On my next rescape, I am also planning to use a very nutrient rich substrate and will be trying lean dosing. Switching to a fertilizer that has no nitrate, I'm thinking about trying APT zero from dennis wong (2hr Aquarist).

On 12/16/2020 at 9:42 AM, Brandy said:

closer to 10ppm in my actual testing. Either that is off, or the "pump" dispenses less than 1ml... I should measure that actually. It can't be much less.

@Brandy asks above about how much Easy Green is in 1 pump of Easy Green? I have tested this several times on different pumps and different bottles and it is never more than 0.7 mL and never less than 0.6 mL.

Here is a test from a few minutes ago. 16 pumps into a 10 mL calibrated volumetric flask. Which yields a result of 0.625 mL per pump.

632201965_EasyGreen.jpg.30bc5e301a71f19ce0586029114ed540.jpg

• Like 3

3 hours ago, test.tin said:

If you're planning to go very rich substrate next time, maybe try the ADA approach (lean dosing). On my next rescape, I am also planning to use a very nutrient rich substrate and will be trying lean dosing. Switching to a fertilizer that has no nitrate, I'm thinking about trying APT zero from dennis wong (2hr Aquarist).

Oh that’s who runs that site, I like that one. His articles comparing ADA and EI were particularly good I thought.

I’m definitely going to be running a compost heavy substrate this time, but I’m also inclined to try a lean EI. I know it’s asking for a bit of trouble if not managed properly, but I’m treating this as another learning experience.

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

@Brandy asks above about how much Easy Green is in 1 pump of Easy Green? I have tested this several times on different pumps and different bottles and it is never more than 0.7 mL and never less than 0.6 mL.

Here is a test from a few minutes ago. 16 pumps into a 10 mL calibrated volumetric flask. Which yields a result of 0.625 mL per pump.

632201965_EasyGreen.jpg.30bc5e301a71f19ce0586029114ed540.jpg

Ah, another wrinkle in the mix. Consistent is key (I remember Cory saying he liked these pump heads for that), but interesting to know they don’t quite deliver that 1ml.

At this point I’m just inclined to call it good and go back to dosing by eye, but very good of you to test and share, thanks for that!

9 hours ago, AdamTill said:

Oh that’s who runs that site, I like that one. His articles comparing ADA and EI were particularly good I thought.

I’m definitely going to be running a compost heavy substrate this time, but I’m also inclined to try a lean EI. I know it’s asking for a bit of trouble if not managed properly, but I’m treating this as another learning experience.

Def a good site to read and reread. 

You'll never know unless you try, you should def do a build journal. Im curious to see the result of a set up like that.