Guppy Fry

Leo2o915

How fun! I always love new fish babies. If you want to get them growing fast and big (so that they'll have less chance of being eaten), I highly recommend hatching out live baby brine shrimp (BBS). Lots of good protein and fat in their yolk sacs, and the fry can't resist the wiggly, swimming motions of the BBS. Other good fry foods include Hikari First Bites, Repashy gel food (even just the powder), Sera Micron, and Easy Fry food. I like to feed several, tiny meals all throughout the day (really, whenever I'm near their tank) so that they always have access to food. Keep up with the water changes, and you shouldn't have much trouble! 

P.S. What kind of guppies are they? Would love to see a pic if you get the chance. 🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Irene said:

How fun! I always love new fish babies. If you want to get them growing fast and big (so that they'll have less chance of being eaten), I highly recommend hatching out live baby brine shrimp (BBS). Lots of good protein and fat in their yolk sacs, and the fry can't resist the wiggly, swimming motions of the BBS. Other good fry foods include Hikari First Bites, Repashy gel food (even just the powder), Sera Micron, and Easy Fry food. I like to feed several, tiny meals all throughout the day (really, whenever I'm near their tank) so that they always have access to food. Keep up with the water changes, and you shouldn't have much trouble! 

P.S. What kind of guppies are they? Would love to see a pic if you get the chance. 🙂

As soon as I see them again I’ll take a pic got a lot of plant cover in the tank so they in there hiding lol and I have the easy fry food from you guys and the nano food have repashy solvent green I think so using just the powder is fine ? I’ll start hatching more baby brine shrimp soon 

6 minutes ago, Leo2o915 said:

As soon as I see them again I’ll take a pic got a lot of plant cover in the tank so they in there hiding lol and I have the easy fry food from you guys and the nano food have repashy solvent green I think so using just the powder is fine ? I’ll start hatching more baby brine shrimp soon 

Yup! I just dip the end of a chopstick in the powdered food, shake off the excess, and then tap the chopstick over the tank. If you have fry from bottom feeders, then it helps to swirl the chopstick in the water so that the powder sinks faster. My dwarf red coral platies gave me 59 fry in the past month or so, so I'm also feeding and hatching out BBS right now as we speak! 🙂

Edited by Irene
misspelling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Irene said:

Yup! I just dip the end of a chopstick in the powdered food, shake off the excess, and then tap the chopstick over the tank. If you have fry from bottom feeders, then it helps to swirl the chopstick in the water so that the powder sinks faster. My dwarf red coral platies gave me 59 fry in the past month of so, so I'm also feeding and hatching out BBS right now as we speak! 🙂

Nice so how much and how often should I do water changes with babies in there with the parents 

A9657DC1-2EC2-4163-9936-A72688765713.jpeg

Hmm, you can probably just check your water quality for ammonia and nitrite spikes or high levels of nitrates to determine when to change water. When I was raising honey gourami fry (which are a lot tinier and more sensitive than livebearer fry), I used to do a 15% water change every 1-2 days until they got a little older and hardier. My current grow-out tank is chock full of plants though, so I hardly detect any nitrogen waste compounds and I just do weekly water changes out of habit. It's also become an algae farm, which is great for the fry to snack on but unpleasant for pictures. 😅

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Irene said:

Hmm, you can probably just check your water quality for ammonia and nitrite spikes or high levels of nitrates to determine when to change water. When I was raising honey gourami fry (which are a lot tinier and more sensitive than livebearer fry), I used to do a 15% water change every 1-2 days until they got a little older and hardier. My current grow-out tank is chock full of plants though, so I hardly detect any nitrogen waste compounds and I just do weekly water changes out of habit. It's also become an algae farm, which is great for the fry to snack on but unpleasant for pictures. 😅

That’s my problem right now too much algae on my plants sigh 😞 Trying to get rid of it I have 6 juli Corydoras 10 female guppies 4 male guppies two nerite snails and some blue velvet shrimp 

Should not need to do much really other than monitor water quality.  If it is a well established (seasoned) tank there will initially be stuff growing in it for them to eat.  If you feed flake foods just grind some between your fingers when you feed the adults.

• Like 1