Hello from Malaysia!

umbaharo

Hi everyone.  My name is Umar from Troy, NY but currently residing in Malaysia.  I have watched hours of Aquarium Coop YT vids and learned a lot so thanks to the Aquarium Coop team for the effort in educating the folks like me.

I just got into fish keeping and aquascaping and currently have 4 tanks, the largest being a 2ft tank.  I have small/nano fish including one betta that are all in community tanks.  I also have a small shrimp tank with red cherries, fire reds and amanos.

The aquascape community in Malaysia is pretty matured and there are lots of shops around the area.  I joined two aquascaping FB groups and have continued to learn a lot from the "sifu" in the groups.  Equipment is also easy to get with a plethora of options.

I plan to move back to the US in 2021 but I cannot find any FB groups or good info on where to buy equipment in the US.  Particularly, I am looking for low iron rimless tank and livestock.  I would appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG

• Like 1

Such beautiful aquascapes! I used to live in Singapore and Hong Kong, actually.  But haven't been back in a long time.  If you are looking for a new business opportunity, you might do well importing those goods and selling them in the U.S. 😆 it seems supply for those types of tanks in the U.S. has not yet caught up with the growing demand.  If not, Buceplant sells rimless low iron tanks on their website (though they have been sold out a lot on a lot of models in the last few months I've noticed).  And folks were also appreciating Waterbox brand aquariums on another thread on here.  I have not bought any so I cannot endorse or warn you about either of those.  Depending on where you will be moving back to, there are some small specialty aquascaping shops popping up here and there in the U.S.

Hello! I lived in upstate NY for 25 years (Schenectady and Saratoga Counties, and worked in Albany for 8 years) and though I didn't have fish then, just knowing that area I am thinking there must be a few local fish stores around. Troy is small but you also have Albany and Schenectady right next door. I have no opinion on ordering fish online, but from my experience in perusing the sites, the LFS seems about the same price, but you don't have to worry about shipping cost, losing fish in transit and dealing with refunds, and the very different water they will be in. And even Aqua Huna tells people to buy from their LFS. 

• Thanks 1

I've noticed at least where I am, a lot of places are starting to carry API products including tanks. That might be something a LFS will carry.   Also, I have found that Amazon actually has a really good selection of equipment. Sometimes the companies themselves have their own Amazon stores so you know you are buying from a reliable source and not just some third party re-seller.