Surprise Angelfish Eggs! Now What!?!

Andrew Puhr

So my 2 angelfish in my community tank decided to lay eggs on a strand of jungle val. They both appear to be taking care of the eggs and chasing away any fish that get too close. I don't know if the eggs are viable some look white/yellow. Should I pull the eggs out and put them in a separate tank? Should I pull the other community fish out so they aren't harassed by the angelfish parents? 

Would like to have success so not sure where to begin. Sorry about the picture quality I need to clean the aquarium glass. 

20201215_123901.jpg

20201215_123941.jpg

20201215_123956.jpg

20201215_123959.jpg

• Like 1

So, if you really want to try to hatch babies, reach in and snip the strand of val, and move to a container suspended inside the tank (or to another empty tank with the same chemistry and temperature). Add an air stone to churn the water. You can use tank water, or 1/2 tank water / 1/2 R.O. (or bottled) water. Add the prescribed amount of methylene blue drops... or Hydrogen Peroxide 3% solution (1 ml / 1 gal). Wait 3-5 days. Remove white fungus-covered eggs with a pipette each time you check. 

Here’s a couple videos that explain it:

@Fish FolkI have one of those hang on marina breeding boxes thats a pretty good size but I couldn't add the methylene blue or peroxide. I do have a smaller lee specimen container probably half the size of the one in your video that I could use and do the same thing. Which do you think is better? 

I don't have access to vinegar eels but I do have Hikari first bites and Hikari frozen baby brine shrimp I could use instead. 

Thanks again for your help!

• Like 1

Does the Marina unit allow water flow-through from the tank? Maybe try the Lee’s small. First, check to see exactly how much water it holds so that your anti-fungal treatment isn’t too much. BTW: those angels may try to DESTROY you when you go for the eggs. Also... not to be a wet blanket... just a quick glance at your photos leaves me wondering if you’re eggs are fertile. If they’re a solid bright white the day after you pull them, it may be an unfertilized batch. 

Edited by Fish Folk

I will pull them after work and see but the majority of them appear whiteish a small cluster are still relatively clear but I will snip the whole piece and find out. This is the 2nd batch I have noticed from the female. The first batch was her in her own smaller tank and she did it on the back glass. The suspected male in the tank (unsexed but based on his behavior I am inclined to believe) is younger. I have had the female for 1.5 years and the male for roughly 6 months. He may not have fertilized the eggs or only a small amount. We will have to see but I will keep you posted!

• Like 1

@Fish FolkI got the eggs from the val clipped and put in the specimen container. I tried to scrape some from the glass but lost most to the gravel. The majority of the clear/gray eggs made it into the container. I added the air stone and the .25ml of hydrogen peroxide so we will see where we are tomorrow. Was your siphon just a syringe with a piece of airline tubing? I plan to siphon up any white eggs that I find then.

The air stone is going pretty strong but I am guessing once I get past the wiggler stage (if I am lucky) I can move to the marineland breeder box I have for better access to fresh tank water. 

20201215_215404.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, it's tricky to catch all of those eggs when they fall off of surfaces. Yes, we just go to WalMart Pharmacy and ask if they happen to have any oral medicine syringes available to children's tylenol. They have just given them to us  when we ask -- and even the we offer to buy, they just give them. There may be some for sale too, but those blue WalMart ones work very well. Yes, we just attach normal airline to the tip. Works like a charm! You'll want an adjuster on the air. It shouldn't be too rough, but enough to give a gentle flow in the container. We use the Lee's large specimen containers, which hold about 1/2 gallon (if I remember correctly). Be careful about the H2O2. 0.25 ml. is right for the smaller container . . . but it's always touch and go. What we do, is add it only 3x times, once every 12 hrs (morning / evening / morning . . . DONE). As long as the eggs don't turn white, they're potentially fertile. I bet those angels were NOT happy when you pulled those eggs! 

I had a syringe I originally used for using Ich-X (its been cleaned for some time). Put the airline and it worked like a charm. Was able to collect most of the white eggs. There are maybe 20 clearish gray eggs left. I dosed the peroxide again and added some more tank water to replenish what I sucked out. I also reduced the flow on the air pump. I will check again and dose this evening. Hopefully will see some wigglers tomorrow if not I am much more prepared when they spawn again. 

• 11 months later...

Ok guys I'm new here so sorry to comment on an old post but I stumbled upon this through Google ..I've kept fish for quite some time, and never really worried much about breeding etc etc for my guppy's, But I have recent decided to get in to angel fish as my partner has kind of fallen for them so here I am.

I do have a few questions, I'm on my 3rd clutch of angel fish eggs last two made it to the wriggler stage,1st lot I struggled to get out of the tank and only ended up with so many and they didn't make it due to me being hesitant of my water changes (I think) 2nd lot I thought I would let the parents try do the job themselves as they seem to be really good parents,but they still didn't make it l.. day 3 I think dad was eating them,was hard to tell tho as every time I seen them, both of them were picking up fry and putting them back on the breeding cone and not eating them,so maybe was just the dead they were eating.. I am using hydrogen peroxide as I don't know how to acquire methylene blue on its own.. and I fear that may have been a big part of my problem. Once I do the HP 3x every 12hours any tips after that? If I'm leaving with the parents do I still feed baby brine? How many days after hatching should I feed them, as soon as they are free swimming? Coz first batch was free swimming only had about 50 and dont think they were eating as didn't see little pink belly's on them .. videos I have watched have only taken me so far any advice would be much appreciated.. thanks heaps for your time guys

You do not want or need to use preoxide or mb if the frys are with the parents or if the eggs have hatched (wriggles). If left with the parents adding a bit of bbs won't hurt just inject with a eye dropper  - the first two weeks are the hardest (er first two weeks of free swimming); after about two weeks you can start feeding them dry baby food (i.,e golden pearls, hiraki first bite, ...) and after about 4 weeks crush flakes. Water purity is the most important things for frys as the smallest amount of decaying food can be deadly.

-

In your case if you can't get them raised with the parents; then i would snatch them when they are wrigglers - this avoid the issue of using mb/preoxide since the eggs have hatched - do not feed them till about 14-20 hours after they have been free swimming; and the first week feed them 3 to 6 times a day small amounts and between feeding siphon out any uneaten food with a turkey blaster or large eye dropper - you can use a magnifying glass to make sure you don't siphon out frys (but do siphon out dead frys). When I raised my kids i had a few (3 or 4 deaths) the first day and another 4 to 8 additional deaths during the first week and 0 after that; I think 60 made it.

Also be aware it takes angels a *long* time to grow - months; 2 years later my kids are huge - good inch to 2 inch larger than their parent.