Propagating Dwarf Aquarium Lily

ChefConfit

I currently keep a dozen or so different aquarium plants most I've propagated at least once and as for the others I at least know in theory how to do it except for my dwarf lily. Has anyone here propagated on successfully? I know they're basically the cheapest plant to just buy more but I want the experience of doing it on my own. 

I've never done a dwarf aquarium lily, but I have red tiger lotus. They will propagate themselves if you provide them enough nutrients and light. They will send out another plant off the main plant growing out of the bulb and once that's grown enough you can separate them and let it grow by itself. Hope this helps! 

24 minutes ago, Brian K said:

I've never done a dwarf aquarium lily, but I have red tiger lotus. They will propagate themselves if you provide them enough nutrients and light. They will send out another plant off the main plant growing out of the bulb and once that's grown enough you can separate them and let it grow by itself. Hope this helps! 

Yes, that's exactly what happened with my dwarf lily. It got extra big, and I was able to separate it into two plants by gently pulling them apart.

17 minutes ago, ChefConfit said:

Will the second plant then produce its own bulb? 

Honestly don't know the answer to this one, but give it enough nutrients, it seems to want to spread fast!

I just cleaned out FIVE dwarf lily leaves floating at the top and blocking off all the light. These leaves were four inches long and the stem over two feet long!

It can, but there would have to be a surplus of nutrients for it to do so. If you trim all the leaves to your desired height consistently for awhile the plant will send up it's leaves only to that height, because it will think it unsafe to grow higher. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Brian K said:

It can, but there would have to be a surplus of nutrients for it to do so. If you trim all the leaves to your desired height consistently for awhile the plant will send up it's leaves only to that height, because it will think it unsafe to grow higher. 

I've wondered something about this as I've always heard that trimming the leaves going to the surface will "train" it to grow shorter and shorter. If i trim the lower leaves will it only grow leaves to the surface?

No just let it be and it will send leave to the surface with time and the lower leaves will die back from the lack of light or another way to get it to grow towards the surface would be reduce the lighting and it will grow toward the surface to reach more light. I would only do this for short periods though because it can hurt the other plants in your tank if done for extended periods.