Celestial Pearl Danio Hybrid?

Jdogtrainer

Firstly, I do not have a picture, sorry.

I was at my LFS a few days ago when a tank with very large CPDs. I mean far larger than any CPD I've ever seen. They were 2" and chubby, very mature looking fish.

When I inquired why they were so large I was told they are a hybrid between "Emerald Rasboras and CPD". Due to the size of these fish I thought the clerk meant Emerald Eye Rasboras, but now I think they were talking about Emerald Dwarf Rasbora. 

Can two tiny species produce such a big size difference in offspring? I know it happens in other animals but was still very surprised and puzzled.

Is this done on purpose?

I will preface this post saying very clearly that I'm not a geneticist, or any type of scientist really.  I would imagine the size of a fish is a result of the genes, which may very well at times be a recessive trait.  That being said, possibly the mixing of two breeds turns this into an active trait, thereby making the offspring bigger.  I don't know how specifically bred the two species are, but maybe they are "supposed" to be a bit bigger in the first place?   It is an interesting thought/question.  

My guess would also be that it is more of an unexpected accident than a purposeful move, although a master breeder like @Dean’s Fishroom might do it on purpose.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ADMWNDSR83 said:

I will preface this post saying very clearly that I'm not a geneticist, or any type of scientist really.  I would imagine the size of a fish is a result of the genes, which may very well at times be a recessive trait.  That being said, possibly the mixing of two breeds turns this into an active trait, thereby making the offspring bigger.  I don't know how specifically bred the two species are, but maybe they are "supposed" to be a bit bigger in the first place?   It is an interesting thought/question.  

My guess would also be that it is more of an unexpected accident than a purposeful move, although a master breeder like @Dean’s Fishroom might do it on purpose.

What a nice response, thank you. They were very pretty fish for sure with very deep midnight blue sides but the fins were a pale to medium orange.

• 1 year later...

I couldn't put my finger on why my new batch of CPDs (added to my breeding colony about 1-2 months ago) from my LFS felt ...off. Then I remembered the markings of the dwarf emerald rasboras. In doing a bit of googling, I found one picture that has the same markings of my fish and it discusses possible hybridization between celestial pearl danios and dwarf emerald rasboras. I suspect think these are hybrids, though I don't have evidence of that, other than my instincts and that my original colony I'm comparing the new ones to is from a hobby breeder and I believe his line is pretty strong.

Differences in these individuals: 
- A little larger
- Yellow markings/spots are more oblong instead of "freckled" 
- The marking on the tail was what I noticed

Anyone have any thoughts; seen hybrids, seen true CPDs end up with the tail making? Just curious. I'm going to pull these individuals from my breeder colony 😕

IMG_5602.jpg

• Love 1

On 12/19/2021 at 10:38 PM, Alyssa said:

I couldn't put my finger on why my new batch of CPDs (added to my breeding colony about 1-2 months ago) from my LFS felt ...off. Then I remembered the markings of the dwarf emerald rasboras. In doing a bit of googling, I found one picture that has the same markings of my fish and it discusses possible hybridization between celestial pearl danios and dwarf emerald rasboras. I suspect think these are hybrids, though I don't have evidence of that, other than my instincts and that my original colony I'm comparing the new ones to is from a hobby breeder and I believe his line is pretty strong.

Differences in these individuals: 
- A little larger
- Yellow markings/spots are more oblong instead of "freckled" 
- The marking on the tail was what I noticed

Anyone have any thoughts; seen hybrids, seen true CPDs end up with the tail making? Just curious. I'm going to pull these individuals from my breeder colony 😕

IMG_5602.jpg

That is a hybrid, that black dot on his tail is a give away. But he could be a cross back to cpd in my opinion