Setup for my future Corydoras

Karen B.

Greetings!

I am rescaping my 20 gallons for my new project. Real plants this time, flourite black sand, etc.

I will be getting 6 false julii coridoras, 10 green neon tetra and 3 honey gourami.

I do have this idea in my head but I can’t find the driftwood to do it (like the picture attached but with real wood. And my lfs only carry spider wood. With all these sharp branches, I am afraid my fish will impale themselves or poke an eye... 😅) So I am looking for inspiration - I am mostly lost as to how to incorporate hiding places for the Cory.

7BDFC8AB-FB29-4866-948B-33823390518D.png.0cc866218cebe64b9e3037a2ca1f3245.png

Also, I would like to add red root floating plants. But I wonder how to do it without the plants blocking the light. Any tips? I was thinking about creating a circle with ait line tubing, put the plants in and letting it float around moved by the current. 

Any tips, toughts, comments, advices or suggestions welcomed! 

(picture taken on facebook. Source : Aqua petite douceur. Roots made by Pleco Caves Quebec)

I've never had any issues with spiderwood in a tank with corydoras, or any other types of wood for that matter. For the floating plants, I would do as you said, make a ring out of airline tubing or something and put the plants in that. Be warned though, once that area gets filled, they will keep growing and you will find them outside of the ring, so you'll have to thin them out when it starts filling up.

• Like 2

Sounds like a great setup and fish selection! I'm soaking some spider wood for my new 20L and am interested in hearing what others have to say about possible fish injuries from sharp wood. I hope my fish will carefully scope out the new tank and can avoid those spots!

I had red root, but it got completely overtaken by water sprite (also got tangled in sprite's roots) and another floating plant that I can't recall the name of (something-minimus - haha, "minimus"). The floating plants all seem to overtake at some point and need severe pruning - I've only had my main tank less than 4 months and have had to clean out lots of water sprite so the lower plants can get more light! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I've never had any issues with spiderwood in a tank with corydoras, or any other types of wood for that matter. For the floating plants, I would do as you said, make a ring out of airline tubing or something and put the plants in that. Be warned though, once that area gets filled, they will keep growing and you will find them outside of the ring, so you'll have to thin them out when it starts filling up.

Thank you very much for you information and advice! Maybe I will give it a try with spiderwood. It’s just not my favorite looking one and it’s annoying to be unable to find what I want. 😅

40 minutes ago, Maggie said:

Sounds like a great setup and fish selection! I'm soaking some spider wood for my new 20L and am interested in hearing what others have to say about possible fish injuries from sharp wood. I hope my fish will carefully scope out the new tank and can avoid those spots!

I had red root, but it got completely overtaken by water sprite (also got tangled in sprite's roots) and another floating plant that I can't recall the name of (something-minimus - haha, "minimus"). The floating plants all seem to overtake at some point and need severe pruning - I've only had my main tank less than 4 months and have had to clean out lots of water sprite so the lower plants can get more light! 

Ah, thanks for the warning - I will only get one type of floating plants then.

I guess I will give a try with spiderwood. Just a bit annoying when you can’t find exactly what you want... you know? Haha. We love our aquariums, don’t we?

• Like 1