bristlenose pleco breeding cave

NanoFishTanks

I got 3 bristlenose plecos and they are about 9 monts old. This is my first time raising bn plecos and hope I could breed them.

I have added 2 pvc caves. One is around 4 inches and other 6 inches in length. 1.5 inches in diameter.

I see lot of people recommend terracotta  breeding caves. Does it matter? 

20201012_163210.jpg

I have caves made of PVC pipe with end caps (1" diameter and 1.5" diameter) about six inches long. Mine breed most readily in the 1" diameter pipes even though they barely fit in them. Oddly enough the one they breed in the most is the one at the left front corner of the tank where there's near constant activity passing by. The secluded caves in the back parts of the tank are largely  ignored. Here's a photo of one of my males in the one inch diameter tube.

IMG_20201212_152608205 edited.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, NanoFishTanks said:

Thanks @gardenman. Just the info I was after. Those super reds looks awesome! 

They're a really neat little fish. I highly recommend them.  That's four of the thirty-some that are in my fifty gallon tank. I've got a hundred-plus week old fry in a breeder box also. These guys breed remarkably true to form. I got my original seven through catfishtown on eBay. They originals were only about an inch long when I got them in August of 2019, but they've done very well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NanoFishTanks said:

Wow that's really cool. Any pro tips for being so successful? 

Food. Lots of food. Mine get green beans (about a can of them a week.) Freeze-dried tubifex worms (3-4 cubes a day in my big tank). Wardley shrimp pellets. Repashy Soilent Green. And whatever flake food manages to escape the ravenous swordtails. They're eating machines. I put a handful of green beans in about a half hour ago, and they're gone!