Added Corys and Spiderwood to tank - Unknown Organism on Tank Glass Appears Overnight

jlcrow

Hello,

I am new to planted tanks and have been slowly getting a 75 gallon setup. Yesterday, I finally purchased my first fish to go into the tank - 10 peppered corydoras. While at the store, I saw they had inexpensive spiderwood so I purchased two large pieces. Last night I put the fish and the wood in the tank. This morning, I awoke to find the class covered with something on all fours sides. It is not worms and I don't think it is algae. It is translucent and when viewed closely, it looks a little like the top of a tiny, tiny jellyfish. The source is one of the two things I added to the tank. Any idea of what this stuff is and what I should do about it. I could just wipe it off, but will it come back? The corys seems fine. They are energetic and acting as one would expect. Could it have come from the wood? As the wood was just submerged, the white bacteria has not formed on it yet. I am simply at a loss of what this is. I welcome suggestions.

Thanks,

John

1042706054_stuffontankglass.jpg.c8e29e7f0269a626ec6682c6fe91ed3b.jpg932716061_stuffontankglasscloseup1.jpg.5792b1afd5014acd620bfdda57c3ced7.jpg463054619_stuffontankglasscloseup2.jpg.ce0254c147b178955426a5638623a645.jpg

When I put spiderwood in my tank, this formed, but only on the wood.  The discussion back then was that it is some type of biofilm which is not harmful, and goes away within a week or so.  Not sure what to make of it on the glass and not the wood, but I would imagine it's not harmful.

Thanks for the comments. I don't think it is the same thing as the white bacteria that forms on wood shortly after it is submerged. That bacteria is beginning to form, as shown below. Yet it is quite different from the stuff that is on the tank glass. The Corys and Nerite snails have been eating the bacteria on the wood but are ignoring the stuff on the tank glass. If we assume it is not the bacteria that forms on the wood, what else could it be? Should I move/repost this in the general forum?

Thanks!

John

1527643664_Spiderwoodwithwhitebacteria.jpg.7682cf2fca69ac133fb131f914c5affc.jpg

Thank you for moving the post.

Also, just in case this information helps, I purchased some other spiderwood at the same time, smaller pieces and these are soaking in a bucket. The bucket water has a film on the top which is like the stuff attached to the tank glass. Is this kind of film in the water common from new wood in a tank?

Edited by jlcrow