Greetings from Maryland

TimeTraveler

My first post! I love aquarium Co-op I found this channel when after 20 years out of the hobby I was setting up our 20 gallon high and had a nightmarish time getting fish to live, an issue which I had never experienced in the past. 

I have learned so much over the last year or so from Cory and the team, and have been successfully keeping fish since I figured out my mistakes. I was so discouraged that I almost gave up prior to finding the channel. 

My current tank is Guppies, 1 male bristlenose catfish, and 1 female molly. I have java moss and anubius (on wood) substrate is gravel. The guppies are breeding and I am trying to find a way to get some re-homed I am talking to my local fish store to see if that is an option.

Anyhow we are having lots of fun with the tank and my kids love watching the fish. 

AB15E51C-024F-4583-A25C-CDEDABC31098.jpeg

Edited by TimeTraveler
  • Like 1

Most likely the green water is due to a phytoplankton bloom. It is all about finding balance.Too much light and/or too many nutrients (from food, fish, ferts). Stop or greatly reduce dosing ferts. Regular water changes. Add some fast growing plants, like duckweed, to suck up some nutrients (it will also reduce light, in spite of wee fingers on the switch).

My water is basically always green, my plants have been growing like crazy I know they are getting some nutrition from my heavy stocking level. My 2021 goal is to get a better understanding of hardness and algae in general. I have never fertilized the plants. I have been reading a lot and am not sure if would help or hurt at this point. I also thought maybe that carbon additive would work. Do you have any thoughts on if that will help? I heard Cory say once that its an imbalance so I was curious this is definitely area I have a lot of learning to do. 

Balance is the key. At the core, understanding the nitrogen cycle will inform any aquarium keeping. From my experience, a more hands-off approach -- benign neglect -- works best for anything other that hardcore biotrope aquaria, high-tech planted tanks, or breeding demanding species. In any case, better to first work on keeping a balanced tank, which means getting a handle on water quality, light, and nutrients. Reduce variables; don't add more (i.e. carbon additive). Shield the tank from direct or strong sunlight. Don't overstock or overfeed. Work with your lighting levels (time and intensity). Ensure adequate filtration and water changes. Once you have things balanced and have whipped the green water, then branch out into wherever the hobby leads you: more plans, more tech, more demanding fish, etc.

I have a good understanding on the Nitrogren cycle and ammonia, and nitrite are always good, my nitrate climbs like normal but I get that with water changes. The water stays green even after water changes I was thinking about a UV sterilizer as well for the free floating algae. I am overtstocked and I have been trying to form a relationship with my LFS since the guppies are so prolific. 

I have given away about 20 and separated males and females to slow them down.