Hello from Poulsbo, WA!

Mike Wyatt

Just returning to active fishkeeping after a hiatus of 7 years. Kept three tanks going with self-sustaining populations of Corydoras sterbai, Otocinclus vittatus and emperor and black skirt tetras (a matter of benign neglect). Thought it was time to re-engage. Looking for sources of healthly ottos. Intent is to breed.

Cory, et al, wow! What a tremendous job you've been doing! Growing out the business manificently! Top-quality online content (great production values), authoritative, accessible, and eminently practical information -- all in all, a go-to resource that delivers great value to the aquarium community. Thank you for all your hard work (and it looks like ya'll are having a lot of fun doing it!)

Regards,

Mike Wyatt

• Like 1

Hiya!

Two up and running -- a 20 and a 55 both heavily planted, low-tech  (and 11 stored in the garage).  Ran CO2 my last time 'round. Focus this time is more on husbandry, happy-critter habitat and breeding, less on aesthetics/cosmetics.

I see you've also recently returned to the hobby. Your guppies are looking happy and fecund!

• Like 1

I am also interested the most in breeding. It's why we have guppies I wanted the kids to be able to see and learn husbandry as well. 

What sorts of lights are you running on your tanks? I have a basic Aqueon tank/light setup and I want to get a Fluval 3.0 and glass lid but not sure I can justify the cost. The Finnex Stingray is a second choice but I have not owned either. 

I have a Hygger Full Spectrum on the 55 and a SANSI 40w Full Spectrum hanging over the 20. Much less fussy about lighting as I am not running CO2 (no demanding plants) this time around. I've used Finnex in the past -- good light. With any led light, I strongly suggest a glass cover on the tank if you've any surface water moverment (airstones, filtration, etc.) Most lights are not well-sealed and lifetimes can be appreciably shortened with even small exposure to water.