WiFi plugs / timers word of caution!

Logan

Just a quick thought on wifi timers. I have just installed an ro/di filter and got everything set up plumbed in and running great just last night. I was feeling proud, I have a pump connected to the reservoir and plugged into a wifi timer so I can turn the pump off and on as I go from tank to tank, Upon waking up this morning I found water everyware, discovered that the timer had been used for a light and turned on, pumping all my ro/di water out and on the floor! So double check your schedules and be aware! Food for thought! 

Logan

• Sad 1

I love the smart plugs. I bought one as an experiment and liked it so much I put one on all of my lights. What I didn't figure out was that I should have just bought one and plugged all of my lights into a single power strip and use the one smart plug to control the whole power strip. So, I've got four smart plugs doing the job one could do. After the holidays I'll redo everything and switch it over to just one smart plug controlling the lights. I've also got a Wyze Pan Cam so I can keep an eye on my tanks when I'm not there. I can look left, right, up or down and zoom in using the cam. It's very handy. I can be on my phone anywhere in the world and as long as I have a connection, see how my tanks are doing. A new Wyze cam will be coming in January that will not be the panning type but a fixed view one that'll go on my bedroom tank so I can keep an eye on that also. The Wyze cams will even send me an alert if my smoke alarm goes off. Handy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gardenman said:

I love the smart plugs. I bought one as an experiment and liked it so much I put one on all of my lights. What I didn't figure out was that I should have just bought one and plugged all of my lights into a single power strip and use the one smart plug to control the whole power strip. So, I've got four smart plugs doing the job one could do. After the holidays I'll redo everything and switch it over to just one smart plug controlling the lights. I've also got a Wyze Pan Cam so I can keep an eye on my tanks when I'm not there. I can look left, right, up or down and zoom in using the cam. It's very handy. I can be on my phone anywhere in the world and as long as I have a connection, see how my tanks are doing. A new Wyze cam will be coming in January that will not be the panning type but a fixed view one that'll go on my bedroom tank so I can keep an eye on that also. The Wyze cams will even send me an alert if my smoke alarm goes off. Handy!

Why did I not think of that haha one plug to run everything via power strip. Easily overlooked haha. Going to check out the wyze cam that is pretty sweet!

That Wyze Pan Cam is a pretty neat gadget. Under $40 too. It's hard to beat. The problem with testing something like a smart plug on one tank is you get into the one tank mindset. It worked for the lights on on one tank and I have four, so I bought three more plugs. I even got them all up and working well for months before realizing I could have done it all with just one smart plug and a power strip. Oh well, I'll have some spare smart plugs once I swap everything out.

I have all my lights on one plug with a daily schedule and 5 HOB filters plus 1 canister on another one.   At feeding time I just tell Alexa to turn off the filters for 10 minutes.   Works great.  I do not turn off the sponge filters at feeding time.

EDIT - There is a downside. If the power goes out the lights all come on when the power comes back on.

Edited by starsman20

7 minutes ago, starsman20 said:

I just tell Alexa to turn off the filters for 10 minutes.  

I have lights, feeders and pumps that Alexa controls some organized into groups so that I can tell Alexa 'Turn off Science Room Lights'. and all the lights not otherwise on timers go off all together.

• Like 2

I use the WiFi timer for a power strip that has my filters on them.   That way when I do a major water change I shut them down from the phone without unplugging the strip or filters.  You could do the same for the heaters but I get worried I would forget to turn that strip back on and the tanks would all go unheated.

Edited by Tedrock