Red tiger lotus produce Toxins?

Blurb

I  just wonder if anyone here  have heard that the red tiger lotus produces a toxin to get rid off other plant around it so it can grow better. I think I read it somewhere online but not sure I got the right plant. Its not that important really but I'm just curious and it bugs me that I can't remember!

I’m no expert. Maybe do a search on Allelopathy / Diana Walstad.

From Diana Walstads Book.

”Aquatic plants contain a variety of allelochemicals whose primary function is to protect the plant from being eaten by fish and  insects or being destroyed by disease”

I’m not sure if this would be the case with your Red Tiger Lotus.

Edited by Koi Fish
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I found the article (www.theaquariumguide.com)

"The Zekeri needs a lot of space and takes in most of the nutrients in the water, so you have to keep in mind not to plant it near sensitive plants, as the red tiger lotus produces a dangerous chemical that inhibits the growth of other plants."

Perhaps that why my cryptos around it is smaller than the others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/12/2020 at 12:50 AM, Blurb said:

I found the article (www.theaquariumguide.com)

"The Zekeri needs a lot of space and takes in most of the nutrients in the water, so you have to keep in mind not to plant it near sensitive plants, as the red tiger lotus produces a dangerous chemical that inhibits the growth of other plants."

Perhaps that why my cryptos around it is smaller than the others.

I had no idea! I saw the title of this post and thought, "pfffft! Of course not!" Whelp, shame on me! Glad to have found this info before my recently purchased tiger lotus roots in my tank!

• Like 1

With plant allelopathy, it depends on the amount and what species of plants the chemicals could be affecting. Some plants respond neutral or even positively to the chemicals, while others don’t. We also would have to look at the amount, as a lot of plants that are considered responsible for inhibiting growth don’t produce nearly as much as what would most likely be needed. When documented, it was shown that all plants react differently to these chemicals, some even growing better or not noticing at all. It’s suspected that most of all plants produce these at some level. So I wouldn’t say this is something to worry about, and plants shouldn’t really be planted right on top of one another anyways (so they can grow in). You’d also be water-changing consistently, so it’s definitely plausible that these concentrations of chemicals don’t build up enough to inflict more “damage” to the other plants. 

• Like 1

I had my tiger lotus grow until it reached a patch of Java fern. Of course I couldn’t see the Java fern that well because of the size of the lotus leaves. I moved the Java fern and a section near the tiger lotus has mysteriously melted back. I had to pull multiple leaves out and throw them away. I believe it is possible. Ve had nothing but trouble since adding these plants. I think I’m going to remove them and do something else.