SA cichlid breed4profit tank?

Sanderguy777

Hi, I'm new here, so I dont know all the ins and outs yet...

Anyway, I have a 55g tank in my living room with African cichlids that I want to swap out for South American cichlids. 

1) does anyone know which Black Diamond Blasting Media is the fish approved one? I was looking at the medium size at Tractor Supply, but I dont see any info about its actual size or whether it is rounded or sharp, or even WHAT it is made from. (Reviews say positive things, but who knows if they know which bag they bought lol)

2) I was thinking about electric blue acara, and geos, but I have no idea whether I can BREED those together. Basically looking for some pretty fish that are in demand that could live in a small tank in ones or twos (bigger customer base vs 13" fish that need 8 billion gallon tanks lol) 

3) I'm in college, so maintenance needs to be fairly simple. Discus are out because of that. The tank is cycled and about 1 or 2 years old. I run two Penguin 350s on it, so no issues with filters etc.

Thanks! 

I think I would swap out the geophagous for long fin bristlenose plecos, or blue eyed bristle nose plecos. I think you'll have a better success rate in terms of selling the plecos because stores will want more of them then the geophagous. When I was looking into breeding fish there was a very helpful breeding for profit playlist aquarium co-op has on youtube, I would reccemond that a try.

The medium BDBS from tractor supply is what I have used in a lot of my tanks for years without issues. I keep EBAs and Geos together in a 75 gallon. My Geos spawn frequently, but are not aggressive enough to ward off intruders and egg snatchers. EBAs are intruders and egg snatchers. I would need to separate the Geophagus tapajos if I wanted to raise fry, but I don't, because like @James Black said, I dont know anyone that wants tons of Geophagus tapajos. Quite underrated fish though, I absolutely love them.

EBAs breed readily and have a TON of babies. A fun experience if you can find places for them all to go, but just when you are moving them out of growout tanks and trying to get rid of what you have, they will be spawning again. But just look how cute they are 😄

20200724_201158.jpg.3dd6033df980ff730a3de5cbbd2486e5.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sanderguy777 said:

1) does anyone know which Black Diamond Blasting Media is the fish approved one? I was looking at the medium size at Tractor Supply, but I dont see any info about its actual size or whether it is rounded or sharp, or even WHAT it is made from. (Reviews say positive things, but who knows if they know which bag they bought lol)

+1 on the BDBS. For the record you want the medium one, it is made of  coal slag, and it is "sharp" due to it's intended purpose to sandblast things. However it is normal feeling sand, and works great as an attractive fish safe substrate. 

• Thanks 1

We've used both the medium and fine BDBS, but I would NOT recommend the fine. You'll have a constant particle mess. The stuff takes some patience to wash out. We put it in a bucket, and wash, wash, wash. The gray particles will go everywhere if you're working in a tub: beware! As Brandy said, it is sharp. Might eventually harm sand-sifters like geophagus. Sympathies if you're trying to save money. Substrate can be costly. You might be happier, in the long run, with something more like Eco-Complete, depending on what your plans are. If you're trying to go for really big, aggressive, non-plant-friendly American Cichlids, then the medium BDBS will work. But if you're trying to enjoy a planted tank, eco-complete (or something similar) is preferable. Attached a photo with BDBS in a grow out tank. It is attractive, but there are "haters" out there . . . 😂

Screen Shot 2020-12-10 at 4.55.26 PM.png

Edited by Fish Folk

52 minutes ago, Brandy said:

+1 on the BDBS. For the record you want the medium one, it is made of  coal slag, and it is "sharp" due to it's intended purpose to sandblast things. However it is normal feeling sand, and works great as an attractive fish safe substrate. 

Perfect, that is what I got (by the way, the grit # is 20-40 if anyone wants that info...)

So, what do ya'll think of these stocking options? 

1)) 

1x Acara
1x Angel
1x Pair of dwarf cichlids (apistogramma,rams etc.)
1x BN pleco
10x medium sized tetra (lemon, red serpae, black phantom etc.)

2))

1x EBA

1x Red Spotted Severum

1x Nicaraguan cichlid

3x Red Head Tapajo Geophagus

10x Red & Blue Columbian Tetras, as a schooling fish

With 1, I was thinking maybe Bolivian rams or apistogramma cacatuoides or borelli (but I dont know if any of those are easy maintenance wise).

With 2, I love this setup, but I dont know of it is realistic. (I LOVE those severums, and that Nicaraguan cichlid, but not sure if the severum is too big for my tank, long term.)

By the way, I plan on getting as many of these fish as 1" so long, so they all grow up together. Some, that might be impossible, but I want the smallest ones I can get so they are less prone to violence (hopefully).

• 2 weeks later...

The bolivian rams can be easy and are slow growers. But whatever you pick I feel your going to have a hard time breeding them in that tank unless your pulling eggs right away.

They also may not spawn if they feel the tank is too crowded for them or feel their fry are threatened. From what I've heard the tapajos are fairly territorial for that bottom space. Prime time aquatics did a video on breeding them in a 55g so I'd give it a watch.

I'd say get 6 of whatever dwarf cichlid you want and wait for a pair to form then get a 10g or 20g for them to spawn in. 

• Like 2

I ended up deciding on 3 apistogramma borellii, 2 angelfish, got a good deal on 12 dwarf neon rainbows, and then 3 each of habrosis and pepper corys.

They are all about 1" (longest might be 1.25"), so I have some time to figure out the aggression issues, if there are any. 

Does that sound like a decent stocking level, or do I need to change something up. I realize that this is NOT the most efficient way to breed fish, but I think that since it is in the living room the main goal is pretty (which it is). If I get eggs from any fish, then I'll monitor, and see if they are being too aggressive, or if the eggs are going to be eaten.

The 4" BN pleco is probably going to be put in my 60g guppy tank, just to avoid him eating any eggs during the night. 

I appreciate the help, and any input now that I have a more finalized list. 

I also added some of the pogostemin stollatus octopus, anubius, and jungle val (new to me, so still pretty limp and sad looking) from my 60g to help any nitrate issues. Though, I doubt there would be any issue, as the tank was heavily stocked with African cichlids only 5 days ago and had at least the pleco, the entire time. 

I'll try to remember to add a photo tomorrow...