Crepe Myrtle...What to do?

L.W. Wetarm

I saved  this beautiful branch  of Crepe Myrtle that was broken off in a recent ice storm. It has such an interesting texture that I thought that I had use it in my tank. I did a little Googleing and found Crepe Myrtle to be a hardwood and on the safe list. It’s been in our backyard since a sprout so I know there are no pesticides or anything like that on it. It appears to be completely dry since it was in winter dormancy when it was broken off. 

I’m hoping to use it in a new 29 gallon that I’m setting up. I believe that it could be cut into two pieces and become a great wood feature that could span from one side of the tank to the other. I can just picture Java Fern and Anubis attached to it .

I guess I have a couple of questions...

Would you think the wood is seasoned long enough? I can put it in the oven but pieces close to 30” long would be difficult to boil. I will just have to pour boiling water on them in a Lowe’s bucket. 

How would one advise to incorporate them into my new aquascape? I’m using black Eco-Complete. I have 3 or 4 other small pieces of driftwood that I have been soaking. 

Any other answers that I don’t know enough to ask the question? 🤷🏼‍♂️

73CA37F2-2284-497B-B49E-EE3CF0D86A43.jpeg

04A4F308-DC04-45A3-88AD-68A358D71D59.jpeg

35477020-01C7-40D5-A184-15B8C26E68F7.jpeg

• Like 1

I don't have a definitive answer, but since it recently broke off if it was mine I'd give it a few more months to make sure it's completely dry before putting it in a tank.

And I wouldn't bother with trying to boil it, or pour boiling water over it either.  I've always just rinsed mine with a hose and put it straight in the tank.  Hardwoods don't usually take long to sink.

• Like 1

If you have bleach you can do a bleach "dip". more like brush the bleach mixture onto the wood. I would normally boil wood like this, but this is too big to be boiled which is why I recommended the bleach dip. This will make sure your not introducing parasites into your aquarium, better to be safe then sorry.

• Like 1