29 Gallon Planted Tank Light

RyanR

To give a little background first.  I have a 40 breeder with a Stingray 2 on it (like the light, but don't like the silver color), a 20 long and some other 10 gallons with the Hygger lights on them.  For Inexpensive lights, I like the Hygger lights, I just want something a little nicer on this since it will be in the den.  We are upgrading one of the 10 gallons to a 29 for Christmas and I am torn between the Stingray (1st version) and the Finnex Planted+.  I won't have CO2 and I don't think the plants will be anything too difficult (annubias, java fern, micro sword, etc).  My only concern with the Stingray is that it won't be enough light for the plants nor enough lights to illuminate the tank (I like semi-bright aquariums).  Any thoughts on these two lights.

BTW...my budget doesn't fit a Fluval 😒

• Administrators
35 minutes ago, RyanR said:

I found the answer to my question.  @Cory compares these two lights in a 20 high, which is close enough.  I'm going to spend the extra and get the Planted+.

Just know we don't carry the other finnex lights due to the high defect rate. 6 month warranty plus undersized ballast issue on those lights leaves a lot of people in the dark. I had a whole store of those lights. Steenfott had a whole fish room of them. Essentially all burned out over 18 months.

Just now, Cory said:

Just know we don't carry the other finnex lights due to the high defect rate. 6 month warranty plus undersized ballast issue on those lights leaves a lot of people in the dark. I had a whole store of those lights. Steenfott had a whole fish room of them. Essentially all burned out over 18 months.

Wow...thanks for the heads up.  @Cory do you think that the regular Stingray light will be sufficient for java fern, anubias, etc. and will light up a 29 gallon well enough to clearly see fish?  I have a Stingray 2 that's about a year old that is nice.  I just don't like the silver and I can't find a 30 inch.

• Administrators

I love the normal stingrays. I use them on my 29 gallon tanks. If you've watched any of my fish room tours. a finnex stingray is what I use to power them. Plenty of light for plants etc. I have no problems. Love it. Also I only like black lights, the stingray is in the black finish.