Plant Recommendation for Native Fish

JimK

Water temp 70 degrees.  One tablespoon salt per 5 gallons of water.  (salt seems to really have slowed down problems I have had in the past} Fish in tanks I would like to mess with plants are small fry caught in trap mostly sunfish and others I don't even know what they are.

been a long time since i had native fish, but most native fish do ok with just about any plant. as with all other plants, thicker hardier plants always stand a better chance. the main exception to this rule is, if you have any bullheads or catfish, they will root up and wreck just about anything. any of the anubias, and most sword plants would be my personal starting point .

• Like 1

My go to native fish plant is hornwort. But if you are looking for something more stylish, the native plants I find in the same ditches as the native fish are, Vallisneria, Bacopa, Sagittaria, Myriophyllum and banana plants. Of those I think only  Bacopa is salt tolerant (but I don't really know much when it comes to salt).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, lefty o said:

been a long time since i had native fish, but most native fish do ok with just about any plant. as with all other plants, thicker hardier plants always stand a better chance. the main exception to this rule is, if you have any bullheads or catfish, they will root up and wreck just about anything. any of the anubias, and most sword plants would be my personal starting point .

Thanks for the information.

5 hours ago, Daniel said:

My go to native fish plant is hornwort. But if you are looking for something more stylish, the native plants I find in the same ditches as the native fish are, Vallisneria, Bacopa, Sagittaria, Myriophyllum and banana plants. Of those I think only  Bacopa is salt tolerant (but I don't really know much when it comes to salt).

Thanks for the information.