Bala Shark ulcer?

Jnh178

Hi there,

I started noticing the scales on the side of one of my Bala Sharks start raising about a week ago. Thought maybe he got in a bit of a tussle with another fish and suffered a wound. However, it has now grown into this mess on his side. I’ve started a treatment of Melafix for a bacterial infection but I’m unsure if I see results yet. Any ideas as to what this is/what I can do to heal it? He’s acting normal and eating, but now has this on his side.

Water Parameters:

PH: ~7

Nitrates: ~15

Hardness:~11

Nitrites: ~.25

Ammonia: 0 (just did 50% water change, did not check before doing weekly 50% change)

Water Temp: 79 Degrees

Any help is appreciated,

Jon

A76B8380-D190-404F-9A6C-3A03E35FE504.jpeg

EC826C2D-1BE2-4656-A505-C9711049CB95.jpeg

5FBFECEE-5C75-4844-8F65-BC8A7D7F2D53.jpeg

Edited by Jnh178
Add photos

39 minutes ago, Jnh178 said:

Any idea where I could get erythromycin? Is it something that any pet store has?

If you live in usa you can get some from the aquarium co op store. If you live in canada (like me) you cant get it anywhere because its ilegal here. Instead you could use API Melafix which can be found at most big box pet stores or amazon. If you cant get any of those meds, salt works miracles and you can use that a 1Tb per gallom ratio. (Assuming you have no live plants or invertibrates in your aquarium, if you do i would move the bala shark to a smaller aquarium with no fish in it. Keep in mind this can be like a see through storage rubbermaid if your on a budget.)

2 minutes ago, James Black said:

If you live in usa you can get some from the aquarium co op store. If you live in canada (like me) you cant get it anywhere because its ilegal here. Instead you could use API Melafix which can be found at most big box pet stores or amazon. If you cant get any of those meds, salt works miracles and you can use that a 1Tb per gallom ratio. (Assuming you have no live plants or invertibrates in your aquarium, if you do i would move the bala shark to a smaller aquarium with no fish in it. Keep in mind this can be like a see through storage rubbermaid if your on a budget.)

I’ve been dosing the entire tank with Melafix for about 3 days now, but I’ve just now moved the sick bala to a hospital tank and added Epsom salt in the ratio you suggested. I will certainly be ordering the antibiotic from Co-Op, but I’m gonna check if my local pet smart has anything as well just for the sake of shipping time. I’ll let you know how it goes!

13 minutes ago, Jnh178 said:

I’ve been dosing the entire tank with Melafix for about 3 days now, but I’ve just now moved the sick bala to a hospital tank and added Epsom salt in the ratio you suggested. I will certainly be ordering the antibiotic from Co-Op, but I’m gonna check if my local pet smart has anything as well just for the sake of shipping time. I’ll let you know how it goes!

yeah, shipping is offly busy this time of year.

6 hours ago, James Black said:

yeah, shipping is offly busy this time of year.

He unfortunately did not make it :/. The redness and swelling quickly spread despite the antibiotic. Thanks for the advice, wish I could’ve caught it sooner.