Aquarium co-op plant takes over

Jollypop4321

I purchased this plant as a bulb a few months back.  It has since taken over the 20 long aquarium.  I had no idea the bulb would grow into this huge plant!   Some of the leaves are larger than the fish.  
BF89C67C-5959-4F21-A9B0-4D979D113787.jpeg.f44cca485c98a6beb4e6f73a5645331b.jpeg
  A16270E1-0F13-4BAD-A591-C0841E5DC78A.jpeg.270107e0a97393e7aaa5d3ba9b3142c1.jpeg

look as those long stems of leaves that reach to the top of the tank.  Wow!
I love this plant so much I purchased two more bulbs for the other two aquariums.  

This aquarium replaced the ten gallon I earlier started a breeding program in but upgraded to this size when petco had its 1$ per gallon sale.  I just transferred everything over to this tank.  
Its supposed to have plantinum  angels in it but they arrived so sick they perished within 6 hrs of delivery.  
Yea those are Neon lyretail balloon Mollies you see in the pictures.   Please forgive me.     I didn’t  find out until recently thaT they are  not pc when purchased.  Now I am embarrassed 😳.  But I love them 😍 🤷‍♂️  So I don’t know what to say.   Except I promise not to do it again?   Yea. That’s it.   

16FF8E79-0A92-4164-B11E-CD1099932209.jpeg

• Like 6

Lovely lily! If you keep the pads trimmed off at the base (the leaves floating at the top) it'll get even bushier. Here's mine:

PXL_20201208_142644592.jpg.0df430eca0ee1b288ef899c9e361385f.jpg

But the pads are really neat too.

Also, try not to worry too much about others opinions on what fish you decide to keep. It's your hobby, enjoy it how you like. It's all a learning and growing experience and I'm sure you provide your pets with the best life possible.

1 minute ago, Dancing Matt said:

@H.K.Luterman does the trimming work for dwarf aquarium lilies? I just wanted to double check. I read that that would stimulate growth for tiger lotus but hadn't seen anything about it for dwarf aquarium lilies.

I'd think it would work for all lilies. You can always just try and see what happens. They send up pads so regularly that if you trimmed them off I doubt it would hurt it. 

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Everyone loves mollies! Some people like balloon fish, others not so much, nothing wrong either way as it is just an aesthetic choice.

About the mollies.  They are balloon mollies.   Quite a few hobbyist believe these to be inhumane   Because of the arched spine short bodies and large bellies.  One person said it was despicable to keep such fish.  Another person listed it as one of the top ten ugliest fish in the aquarium.  Several other words were used  as well but I’d rather stay out of the controversy, except to say in my opinion the neon lyretails are quite beautiful and cute as heck. 

On 12/9/2020 at 9:07 PM, James Black said:

Are you still planing to add angels, I think the plantinums like you mentioned wood look gourgoues in this tank.

Yes I. Still going to add the angelfish.   Though I think I’ll wait until sometime after the new year when the shipping gets less hectic.  I think right now it would be risky.  

22 hours ago, H.K.Luterman said:

Lovely lily! If you keep the pads trimmed off at the base (the leaves floating at the top) it'll get even bushier. Here's mine:

PXL_20201208_142644592.jpg.0df430eca0ee1b288ef899c9e361385f.jpg

But the pads are really neat too.

Also, try not to worry too much about others opinions on what fish you decide to keep. It's your hobby, enjoy it how you like. It's all a learning and growing experience and I'm sure you provide your pets with the best life possible.

Lovely.  Your aquarium is perfection.  Thank you for the advice.