Do you follow the directions on medications?

Joshua14

About a month ago I purchased some new fish that seemed very healthy at the store. They started to fall apart quickly. Fungal infections along with some wasting. I discovered I had one pack of erythromycin and general cure left in my fish room, so I just dosed what I had. It's a 20 gallon tank so I dosed less than the recommended amount. I didn't do a water change for 3 weeks leaving the meds in there the whole time. They are super healthy now eating 2 times a day and extremely active. 

I am curious if anyone plays with the doses of their meds. I just worked with what I had and it seemed to cure them up no problem.

What are your experiences with medication dosages?

Most of the recommended doses are lower than what's recommended in veterinary literature. Kanamycin is under-dosed 17X in Kanaplex. Metronidazole is under-dosed almost 4X in GC.

I don't think there's a point to removing medications after the treatment is concluded. Most drugs have a limited lifespan in aquatic environments so they'll disappear on their own.

If the goal is an abrupt drop from therapeutic levels to zero then the fish need dialysis because plasma concentration, not water concentration, is what you need to focus on.

• Thanks 1

No I don't usaully do. 

For example, I had a ich outbreak and instead of dosing every other day (like the bottle says), I does every day till the ich cleared up doing a watcher change on the 5th day.

I feel like the fish meds company have their reccemonded ammount, but these amounts aren't usally aren't close to the point where it could be dentremental to a fishes health (of course it depends on the fish.) 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Joshua14 said:

@Coronal Mass Ejection CarlWow I did not know this. I would love to read something on this. I also have never really applied the idea that drugs lose their potency toward fish medications. Thanks for the response!

Well, kanamycin is supposed to be dosed at 50-100 mg/L per Noga's Fish Disease and Diagnosis book. Kanaplex is 31.7% kanamycin so to get to 50 mg/L requires almost 6 g per 10 gal.

If treating with metronidazole every other day, the dose is 25 mg/L (also per Noga) or 946 mg per 10 gal. API's instructions are one packet (250 mg) per 10 gal every 48 hrs.

Kanamycin dosage.png

metronidazole dosage.png

metronidazole dosage 2.png

• Thanks 1