Is having 1 yo-yo loach better than having 2?

Luis

Hello,

I have recently got one 4inch yo-yo loach. I was wondering if I should add 1 more slightly smaller or just leave him how he is. 
I would get more but I don’t have the space. In about 6 months I’ll be able to upgrade but for now what would be the best? 
I’ve heard that if there’s only two , they’ll be aggressive with eachother.

any experiences? 
thank you

I have two yo-yo loaches because I only have a 55 gallon and the guy at the pet store said that just two would be fine. I was skeptical but I liked them so much I just went for it. Plus they were the only fish in the store my husband liked. XD 

For the first few months there was one bigger and clearly dominant fish and the smaller one did get chased a lot. But I think part of the problem was that their tank was too cold. I upped it from 79 to 82 and they both got way happier. Now that they’re bigger I’ve put the temp back down to 80.

Once they settled down after the initial temperature change, they haven’t been aggressive toward each other at all. They swim together and sleep together and sometimes do playful chasing, but nothing mean-spirited. Sometimes they even swim nose to nose. They seem like best buds.

Of course, sometimes these things just depend on the fish. If you get a particularly aggressive one then it might not do well in a pair. But it’s worked well for me. I’m sure they’d love more friends but they seem very happy as they are, too.

Ive had them for almost a year. This picture is from six months ago. 😊

CC6A0C9F-AE77-49DC-8CF8-80EF48758859.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Hobbit said:

I have two yo-yo loaches because I only have a 55 gallon and the guy at the pet store said that just two would be fine. I was skeptical but I liked them so much I just went for it. Plus they were the only fish in the store my husband liked. XD 

For the first few months there was one bigger and clearly dominant fish and the smaller one did get chased a lot. But I think part of the problem was that their tank was too cold. I upped it from 79 to 82 and they both got way happier. Now that they’re bigger I’ve put the temp back down to 80.

Once they settled down after the initial temperature change, they haven’t been aggressive toward each other at all. They swim together and sleep together and sometimes do playful chasing, but nothing mean-spirited. Sometimes they even swim nose to nose. They seem like best buds.

Of course, sometimes these things just depend on the fish. If you get a particularly aggressive one then it might not do well in a pair. But it’s worked well for me. I’m sure they’d love more friends but they seem very happy as they are, too.

Ive had them for almost a year. This picture is from six months ago. 😊

CC6A0C9F-AE77-49DC-8CF8-80EF48758859.jpeg

Thank you for taking your time to write this! Very helpful stuff.

goes to show that With fish we never know 100% until we try I guess hahah. 

I’ll see how this one behaves for the week and adjust from there! 

• Like 1