Discus First Try at Mating

Daniel

8 hours ago, Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics said:

Well good luck! I hope you get some good babies. How many do you plan on keeping?

Thanks @Patrick M. Bodega Aquatics (I like the new profile logo 🙂 ).

The vision is a pair of proud parents herding a school of baby discus from place to place and protecting the babies from predators.

I don't know how many I will keep. My main goal is to have discus breeding in a community tank and successfully raising babies in a community situation. I was able to get this to work with angelfish, but this is my first try with discus.

One of the other pairs have been mating. There has got to a chemical signal in the water, something like a hormone because three pairs mating at the same time in the same aquarium doesn't seem like chance. The pair mating today has larger fish than the pair in the photos above.

IMG_3381.JPG.e1cb3cea6cc95262437282c00bd2d6fe.JPG

Also, all the males are orange and all the females are blue, and all the fish are siblings.

On 12/11/2020 at 12:40 PM, Daniel said:

One of the other pairs have been mating. There has got to a chemical signal in the water, something like a hormone because three pairs mating at the same time in the same aquarium doesn't seem like chance. The pair mating today has larger fish than the pair in the photos above.

@Daniel I have read and heard from several top breeders of fish that there are pheromones released into the water when they spawn and it will trigger others to start spawning. I even saw a video either on the co-op's YouTube or someone else's channel of a tour at Eric Bodrock's fish room and he has a rack of tanks plumbed together on a central sump that he keeps corydoras species in for this reason.

• Thanks 1

Everyone seems to be taking a break from breeding for the moment. The second pair to breed may have actually hatched their batch of eggs, but I never saw any wigglers after that. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a month or two to get the first batch of babies.

image.png.d7c8c16a093436ebfdc67cb441adb189.png

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Daniel said:

Everyone seems to be taking a break from breeding for the moment. The second pair to breed may have actually hatched their batch of eggs, but I never saw any wigglers after that. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a month or two to get the first batch of babies.

image.png.d7c8c16a093436ebfdc67cb441adb189.png

The pair in my 120 have been spawning every week to 10 days Since I put the new male in the tank. Unfortunately the clutches have all fungused over. Good luck @Daniel

Edited by Paul
  • Thanks 1