Swred5

I've had my pair of Kribensis for about 2 months. The female (Blue Jean Baby) has chased off the male (Tiny Dancer) until about a week ago when they both started digging.  Today the male is protruding I believe.  Below is a photo, is this a male?  Does this signify the actual mating may begin?  This is my first experience with this breed, and the first possible breeding of fish. Any help is most appreciated. 

20201209_092614.jpg

That photo could be the female, or at least that tube looks like an ovipositor. Female kribensis are more colorful than the males. I suspect they are already mating or are about to. They like to lay eggs in a cave. They are really good parents and are a great first fish to breed.

@Swred5That is definitely a female. Females are more colorful than males. This female is not in breeding colors. The picture below shows a pair in breeding colors. The male is in the foreground. Males are larger and long with a spade tail. Females are smaller and rounder with a round tail. 

7 hours ago, Swred5 said:

I've had my pair of Kribensis for about 2 months. The female (Blue Jean Baby) has chased off the male (Tiny Dancer) until about a week ago when they both started digging.  Today the male is protruding I believe.  Below is a photo, is this a male?  Does this signify the actual mating may begin?  This is my first experience with this breed, and the first possible breeding of fish. Any help is most appreciated. 

20201209_092614.jpg

51C3F105-0F54-4F89-96D6-A71AF810CC23.jpeg

Edited by Paul
  • Thanks 1

The smaller one (pictured alive above) with rounded dorsal fin tip and more crimson belly is the female. In the photo with both fish in, the nearer one is the male. Females get aggressive when ready to spawn. Here’s a breeding journal video if you’re interested:

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Thanks 1

Okay now I think maybe I don't have a pair as the other one is much more brightly colored. The pic below is what I was originally told was the female. This is also the one who has been hanging out in the cave. Thank you to everyone who has answered, and can't wait to watch the video attached.  If I have 2 females would they be doing all this? 

20201205_071852.jpg

1 hour ago, Swred5 said:

They aren't the easiest to catch in a good pic.  The one on the top is actually the larger of the 2, and what I was told was a male. I'm feeling like unfortunately I have 2 girls. 😿

PicsArt_12-10-05.48.17.jpg

No doubt about it you have two females.