2 hours ago, RyanR said:

Thanks.  For the first month or two, I was getting a bunch of plantlets, which was understandable and I haven't been getting too many, if any, lately.

My general assumption is that if a fern is shooting off plantlets it is a little stressed, but if it is growing new leaves it is healthy. I think Java fern needs to be pruned a little to look "perfect". I suspect it is often grown emmersed and when it becomes submerged the older leaves do this. 

• Like 2

Do you know what your general hardness is? I've tried growing these in a hard water tank several times and they all got the black spots like yours so I yanked them out. I have a new-ish soft water tank and I put some Java Ferns in and these aren't getting the black spots, and seem to be growing really well so far. I've read and seen lots of people saying Java Ferns grow well in hard water, however I am not convinced.

Tank Java Fern.jpg

• Like 1

Mine were doing this quite often. I read that it was possible that I had a potassium deficiency. I was dosing with easy green once a week and root tabs. Based on what I had read, I looked for a supplement that had a higher amount of potassium to see if it would help. I added API Leaf Zone to my fertilizing regiment. The main ingredients are iron and soluble pot ash (potassium).  Since then the ferns look better and all the new laves are coming in without the dark spots. 

That's what worked for me. Good luck!

• Like 1

On 12/11/2020 at 9:30 PM, Wes L. said:

Do you know what your general hardness is? I've tried growing these in a hard water tank several times and they all got the black spots like yours so I yanked them out. I have a new-ish soft water tank and I put some Java Ferns in and these aren't getting the black spots, and seem to be growing really well so far. I've read and seen lots of people saying Java Ferns grow well in hard water, however I am not convinced.

Tank Java Fern.jpg

I have to agree.  I have extremely hard water and high ph and my java ferns all died.  I put them in a tank with a 50/50 mix of my tap and distilled to lower ph and hardness and they are thriving now.