Guppy clamped fin and discoloration

outspoken

Hello beautiful community! This is my first foray into a sick fish situation so I'm hoping for a bit of guidance.

This is a female guppy that was part of my original tank setup. She started exhibiting a strange swimming pattern about 3 days ago and then I realized it was her back fin that wasn't opening up. Yesterday I noticed the back half of her body developed a slight discoloration.

Water Parameters:

• pH: 7.6
  • Nitrates: 15
  • Hardness: ??
  • Nitrite: 0
  • Ammonia: 0
  • KH/Buffer: ??
  • Water Temperature: 80F

20201208_112858.jpg

I just added an assassin snail and a mystery snail. Maybe they brought something with them from their home, or it stressed her out? All the other fish are happy though.

I'll get some aquarium salt and see if that helps.

EDIT: going to watch this video before giving it a try - 

Edited by outspoken
adding helpful video for aquarium salt use

47 minutes ago, James Black said:

I would agree with what you are doing, salt works miracles and can pretty much fix anything that is external.

Thanks! Should I wait a certain amount of time before re-introducing her to the main tank?

Also wondering if I should dose the quarantine tank again today (every 24hrs) and how many times. Since she looks back to normal I am guessing no more salt is required?

5 minutes ago, outspoken said:

Thanks! Should I wait a certain amount of time before re-introducing her to the main tank?

Also wondering if I should dose the quarantine tank again today (every 24hrs) and how many times. Since she looks back to normal I am guessing no more salt is required?

If she looks back to her regular self, I would dose one more time. No, clamped fin cannot be spread from fish to fish, so after the last treatmet of salt, you can put her in.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If it helps, Fanny (my female guppy in question) eventually  went back to normal for a few days. Then right back again to clamped fin. So maybe she will eventually cope with the stress. Not sure what else to do for her except maybe get a bigger tank and change some things in it.