I encourage you to try this

teenage fish

A few days ago, I went to a local creek with an empty 2 liter bottle. I took mud from the bottom, and algae covered stick, and the creek water. It is amazing to see the life inside one of these. I see hydra and many tiny organisms flitting about. I even see some kind of worm stirring in the bottom. These jars can last years without you even having to open them. It’s a great chance to look at your local water ecosystem and see the micro but important level. Everyone should go and do this. It takes but five minutes to create an amazing ecosphere from your backyard.93B4B7A1-4851-4BC4-8BBC-1AD6E5AE2059.jpeg.2eda5bb5a8eb5464405ce105ec2e1d79.jpeg

• Like 2

We had the "jarariums" as kids, sometimes with a crayfish or other things we called water skeeters.  ...Found out later that some of our critters were just mosquito larva. They were fun to watch, and I was fortunate enough to have a microscope which added a whole other dimension. As soon as they developed some color or any hint of an odor mom threw them out.