How much of what to feed?

JeremyWoods

I am currently over feeding im sure and I need to do better job at it. My problem is how much of each kind of food to feed in a diverse tank?  The tank  has 1 betta, 12 endlers, 3 fancy guppies, above all are males, 6 green tetras,  8 leopard corys, 3 otos, 2 plecos, 6 kuhlis not sure how many cherry shrimp, 3 rams horn and a nasty mess of snails.  I feed floating pellets for the first 4 then a mix of sinking pellets with protein and algae wafers for the "bottom guys" plus there is plenty drift wood. I try and spread the feeding just a bit staring with pellets to see how much gets left on the bottom then add the 2 that sink. How long should I wait before vacuuming out left overs and and adding fresh food? I usually feed twice a day. Some mornings it looks like everything is cleaned up then other times like they did not eat much. How long until the food goes bad once it is in the water?

My second question is with out doing chemicals and knowing my fish type from above what are suggestions to deal with the snail boom. Here are the options im thinking about

1. Couple assassin snails. 

2. Amazon puffer in current tank. 

3. New 10 gallon that I already have and just move a few they each day (probably my last favorite because as cute as pea puffers are starting a second tank this early sounds unwise) .

4. Just trap then and throw them away but this seems wasteful when they are such a good food for so many things. 

Thanks for any input.

If you were thinking about setting up a seperate tank for the puffer, I think thats a great idea. But I wouldn't put the puffer in the same tank as the betta. Bettas need peacful community tankmates and the amazon puffer isn't all that community. Assasin snails would also do the trick, all though I would only do one because if you get two you will have the same problem you have with the current snails, you'll have a snail outbreak but this time with assasin snails. Also depending the size of your tank, yoyo loaches will also help.

Usually the general rule of thumb is no more food then a fish can eat in 2 minutes, all though this changes based on the situation. Do your plecos and kuhli loaches comeout for food right away? 

19 minutes ago, James Black said:

If you were thinking about setting up a seperate tank for the puffer, I think thats a great idea. But I wouldn't put the puffer in the same tank as the betta. Bettas need peacful community tankmates and the amazon puffer isn't all that community. Assasin snails would also do the trick, all though I would only do one because if you get two you will have the same problem you have with the current snails, you'll have a snail outbreak but this time with assasin snails. Also depending the size of your tank, yoyo loaches will also help.

Usually the general rule of thumb is no more food then a fish can eat in 2 minutes, all though this changes based on the situation. Do your plecos and kuhli loaches comeout for food right away? 

Kuhlis do no matter the brightness but the corys seem to wait for the light to drop down a bit and the plecos like to keep me guessing. Im going to try the siesta style and have an hour almost dark during the day to help encourage them out. I was hoping any of the fish would at least eat the snail eggs but haven't seen it yet. But in thinking assassin snail probably be the easiest just would love to find one close not sure why but seem a bit harder to find right now where I am at but we only have 2 local stores and box stores. So I'll keep my eyes looking. Thank you. 

• Like 1