Home made brine shrimp hatchery

FishyMike

Hello everyone, 

I figured I’d give the brine shrimp hatchery a go I whipped up something from thingyverse on the 3D printer and made a little light fixture. I was wondering if you guys could help with some proportions. I can hold about 15oz of water. How much salt/ brine shrimp/ baking soda should I use and do I need to rinse them after I was thinking of using a coffee filter of some sort. Thank you all in advance!!

image.jpg

• Like 1

Very neat design, love the light fixture! I use a somewhat similar DIY contraption and the recipe of "1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) of eggs and 12 grams (2 teaspoons) of salt per 500ml water" (recommended by the egg seller). Optionally a pinch of baking soda. I always thoroughly rinse the bottle between hatchings, otherwise some waste accumulation happens and spoils the next batch (could be just my cheap eggs).

I like the open top type hatchery. I use the San Fran Bay brand kit that uses a cut off soda bottle. I put a light (small flashlight) at the base of the unit and turn off the air. In about ten minutes the eggs will have floated or sunk and a cloud of baby brine will be near the light. I go in with an old turkey baster (squeeze the bulb tight before putting it in) and suck up that cloud of baby brine shrimp. Then I put my brine shrimp net over the top of the container and empty the baster into the net so the water drains back into the hatchery, but the baby brine stay in the net. That keeps the water level in the container more stable. Then off to my 50 gallon tank that has my breeding colony of neon swordtails and give the net a swirl and watch the feeding frenzy commence.