Summer Tubbing - Lets see your outdoor mini and large ponds.

Cory

3 hours ago, Streetwise said:

For those in the snow belt, when will you move your tubs or livestock inside?

Got down to 49 here last night, tub was 54 this morning, may have to drop a heater in the guppy tub!  Probably have to move them the end of September.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Logan Kendrick said:

Oh Colorado how I love you. Currently 91 out with a forecast for Tuesday of snow with a high of 35. Time to save as many fry And shrimp as possible and break down the deck pond. 

BFAAEFA0-2FAB-445B-8F9E-B48A120F3105.jpeg

😆 I'm right next door, doing the same thing this weekend for our 98°high Monday, and drop to 48° Tuesday. Looks like it's time to call it quits. 

On 9/5/2020 at 11:50 AM, Logan Kendrick said:

Oh Colorado how I love you. Currently 91 out with a forecast for Tuesday of snow with a high of 35. Time to save as many fry And shrimp as possible and break down the deck pond. 

Wow! That is abrupt! I guess you really have to keep your eye on the weather forecast out there huh. This is my first year with a mini pond but Its 117* in los angeles today so i have the opposite temps to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/5/2020 at 1:50 PM, Logan Kendrick said:

Yeah, that’s one of the things I don’t miss about Denver. 

The summer tub is wicked good fun! Turns out rice fish are the bomb.

1915961615_RiceFish.jpg.c8dd710498bc8417211debb081569888.jpg

Those are just a few of the hundreds that suddenly appeared.

And despite also having guppies, swordtails and cory cats, the pond also produces several tablespoons of Daphnia everyday.

515166954_Daphniaintub.jpg.e28fb7254e9332c0804e0df47cfa895c.jpg

• Like 4

40 gallon mini pond with flagfish I started right before the covid madness began. The only plants that grew this summer was the bacopa and java moss I snatched from one of my tanks. Bought some more plants lil over a month ago which are doing great. Black magic taro, a dwarf lily, and pickerel rush. The taro isn't happy with the sun switching position though. Which is where my lovely green water went too.... Diy spitting frog from Dollar Tree with a small fountain pump from Lowes. Being in Central Florida, I'm going to try over wintering it with only a few of the fish. Dean had mentioned in a video about a role of privacy reed as insulation so I picked some up to try my luck. I didn't get a huge boom of fry, but there's a lot more fish than I started with. I will be setting up a couple more next year without pumps with white clouds and hoping for some orange ricefish. 

20200927_183513.jpg

20200927_183640.jpg

• Like 5

I'll have back up plans. Our weather is consistently inconsistent but no where near as intense of a winter as the rest of the US lol. I'm also contemplating lid design. This one doesn't get sun till the afternoon so a greenhouse effect would be useful. This year is a test, but I definitely don't want to harm my poor fishies. So I have been researching like mad the past few months. 😊

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Does anyone in the mid Atlantic area keep year round outdoor tubs?  I am itching to try an outdoor tub/pond this year, but I do not have the capacity to bring it indoors in the winter.  Here in SW VA our weather has been ranging from daytime highs of 30's - 40's with the occasional deep freeze into the teens, from around mid-November through February. .  In college I lived in a house that had an inground pond with goldfish and they wintered very well, but I don't have that capacity in my current house.  

• 2 weeks later...

I keep a year round in-ground pool next to a large heron rookery with over 100 nesting pairs of Great Blue Herons. It has been a while since a heron related fatality, but by the looks of this crime scene, I would say the prime suspect is a heron.

image.png.e5872e0509886db7888c32e26ab4c3d6.png

• Sad 1

27 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I keep a year round in-ground pool next to a large heron rookery with over 100 nesting pairs of Great Blue Herons. It has been a while since a heron related fatality, but by the looks of this crime scene, I would say the prime suspect is a heron.

image.png.e5872e0509886db7888c32e26ab4c3d6.png

I would think it would be hard to keep fish in an outdoor pond being near that many herons. Do you use any kind of netting to protect the ponds?

12 minutes ago, Andy's Fish Den said:

I would think it would be hard to keep fish in an outdoor pond being near that many herons. Do you use any kind of netting to protect the ponds?

No nets, hence the fatality...but whole years can go by with no heron related deaths. There are many lakes and ponds in our area so I think the herons have a lot of choices other than this pool.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...