Betta rescue question.

SarayParay

I am thinking of rescuing a male betta from someone who may be getting rid of it. I have a 20 gallon with 3 platys, 4 long finned zebra Danio, 1 short finned zebra Danio, 3 Nerite snails and 3 amano shrimp. Will he be okay there? 

I cannot get another tank.

I feel bad for the little guy. 😞 

Edited by LunarFlower29

I would try it. Just remember, it depends on the bettas temperment if they will be fine with tank mates. A way you can check if he will be okay is if you do the following:
-Put your finger in his tank

-What does he do?

-Does he flair at it, does he leave it alone, or does he take a nibble?

If he flairs at it, its a no go. If he takes a nibble, do it with caution. And if he leaves it alone, your all set.

But yes, all those tankmates will be just fine with a betta.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, James Black said:

I would try it. Just remember, it depends on the bettas temperment if they will be fine with tank mates. A way you can check if he will be okay is if you do the following:

-What does he do?

If he flairs at it, its a no go. If he takes a nibble, do it with caution. And if he leaves it alone, your all set.

Good sound advice

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, James Black said:

-What does he do?

Thank you very much! I’ll try that out tomorrow!! 

Thank you thank you!

I would recommend just getting the betta its own 3-5 gallon tank. It would probably get stressed in your 20 gallon with all those other fish. You'd also run the risk of it harming the other fish. Less fish=Less stress=Happy life. However, each betta has its own personality so it might do fine in the 20 gallon but I would play it safe.

• 2 weeks later...

Update. I was able to find a home for the betta to be by himself. 🙂 

After reading the Danio comment I became concerned because he seemed like a sweetheart. I did the finger test that I read up there and he was more curious about it and would just swim up to it. Lol 

Thank you all!

• Like 1