Hydra advice?

Jennifer Luna

Hydra are generally only a major concern to brine shrimp/daphnia. I've had both green and white varieties (though I currently only have a small amount of green). The population tends to grow when there is an abundance of microfauna or tiny live food, and they've never caused any death with my small fish or inverts.

I'm personally not concerned with hydra. I haven't seen anything "go missing" in any of my tanks that have them. The populations started to go down naturally when I had other things competing for the same food source (seed shrimp and daphnia). Some fish also likely nibbled a few off the glass.

I agree with @ange.  I have hydra and I have fry. I have never seen a hydra catch a fry. I bet it could happen but I have never witnessed it. 

If I feed a lot baby brine shrimp or baby Daphnia my hydra populations explode. When I stop feeding baby brine shrimp and baby Daphnia, the hydra disappear. 

I have seen swordtails and guppies pick at them and my sparking gouramis eat them too. Personally I wouldn't put chemicals in an aquarium to get rid of hydra.

I think they are pretty cool. Here is some video I shot recently of hydra eating baby brine shrimp.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Jennifer Luna said:

Help with hydra? I have a 35 gallon tank with 2  angelfish , live plants and a Chinese algae eater. Noticed a few hydra today. Any recommendations on fish added to my aquarium that may eat the hydra or is chemicals the only route? Since I am not breeding them is it really a big concern? Newbie here 😐

Honestly, it's not a big problem, but it's extremely easy to deal with as well. 

Buy a dog dewormer named panacur C and apply 1 drop per 4 gallons. In 24h all hydra should be dead. 

This is extremely safe and does not harm fish, plants, snails or shrimp, but it does kill planaria as a bonus 😁

I used to have a ton of hydra in my 55 gallon. It didn’t seem to bother my cherry shrimp. It’s possible some of their babies got nommed, though I never saw it.

Then I got my two honey gouramis and within two weeks the hydra was gone. They loved that stuff!

I’m not sure they’d go well with angels though. Honeys are really peaceful and I think the angels would harass them.

My honeys haven’t bothered my shrimp. The male has chased shrimp out of his territory when protecting eggs. But I have shrimp in my honey fry grow out tank and I’ve never seen them even blink at them. They will nibble at the snails antennae though.

I should put out the caveat that the shrimp in my 55gal have been disappearing. But I’m 90% sure that’s the yo-yo loaches’ fault, not the honeys’. 😬

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/7/2020 at 3:31 PM, gcalberto said:

Honestly, it's not a big problem, but it's extremely easy to deal with as well. 

Buy a dog dewormer named panacur C and apply 1 drop per 4 gallons. In 24h all hydra should be dead. 

This is extremely safe and does not harm fish, plants, snails or shrimp, but it does kill planaria as a bonus 😁

Do you have a link where you can get liquid?  I can only find it in pill form.