Fluval 407 Media Stack Suggestions

Nick

Suggestions on the order of media stack materials  for Fluval 407 appreciated. Starting from bottom tray folks are saying: 1. course sponge 2. Fine sponge or filter fiber 3. Bio rings 4. More bio rings.

I’m  a casual aquarium enthusiast caring for a 20+ year old red reared slider who’s enjoying his 40+ gallon tank.  
Thanks!

Nick

I run a Fluval 406 on my overstocked 65 gal tank, so the rest of the description is comparable, because the 407 is just an updated version of the 406.

Pre-filter: Large Aquarium Coop Sponge Filter

4ea Vertical Medium Sponges - Stock

1. Bottom Baskets: Fine Sponges - Stock

2. Next level baskets: Fluval Bio Rings/Medium - Stock in mesh bags

3. Next level baskets: Full basket of 100% polyester quilt batting from a big box store - Water polisher, I use the Poly-Fil Fiber Fill 50oz bag which is super cheap

4. Top baskets: Full Basket of Lava Rock in mesh bags from a big box store - Holds down the quilt batting

Maintenance:  Squeeze out all of the sponges in a bucket of tank water, replace discolored quilt batting, and reassemble

This setup works great for me and I have no problem filtering a 65 gal tank with over 200 fish in it.  I have this setup to be as fast and easy to clean as possible because the whole filter has to be cleaned at the weekly water change for this stocking level.  The aquarium coop sponge filter clogs in 2 weeks (which is really saying something) if I do not clean it out the stocking is so crazy in this tank.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Nick said:

Starting from bottom tray folks are saying: 1. course sponge 2. Fine sponge or filter fiber 3. Bio rings 4. More bio rings.

This is how I run mine. I'm going to switch out the fine sponge in tray 2 to a medium or course sponge at some point. It clogs too fast

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 3vi1p3nguin said:

This is how I run mine. I'm going to switch out the fine sponge in tray 2 to a medium or course sponge at some point. It clogs too fast

I find that the pre-filter really helps a lot but I understand that the turtle may eat it.  Maybe try skipping the filter floss it you do not need water polishing or try replacing the vertical medium side filters and/or the bottom stack fine filter with coarse filter pads.  Just depends on what gets clogged first and how fast it happens.  I definitely recommend using either lava rock or bio rings and filling up everything that is left over.  You can keep them in mesh bags to make less mess if you are spilling or removing them from the baskets.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is water change Wednesday so I am posting photos of all the sponges that I use with my Fluval 406 (this is as clean as any of this gets) if you wanted to visually compare the filter media.

Top Left: Medium Sponge (4ea Vertical), Top Right and Bottom Left: Fine Sponge (2ea Bottom Tray), Bottom Right: Coarse Aquarium Coop Pre-Filter Sponge

20201209-20201209_195927.jpg.003556cc861b5f4e0d60c8d63aa77d0a.jpg

Left: Medium Sponge (4ea Vertical), Top Right: Fine Sponge (2ea Bottom Tray), Bottom Right: Coarse Aquarium Coop Pre-Filter Sponge

20201209-20201209_195941.jpg.7f1582028ee19d9f79eaceef29653642.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1