Other Options

Mmiller2001

5 weeks PraziPro

4 weeks General Cure

Each time the issue resolves but comes back in about 3 to 4 weeks. Fish flashing. What else can I try? Or do I do another 2 months of these meds. I'm fighting some kind of parasite. I'd imagine they are growing immune at this point. 

Any help is appreciated. 

9 month tank. 0-0-20 to 25 Nitrate. 5gh, 3kh. 7.3pH

14 minutes ago, James Black said:

if they are eating well, its probably not a parasite. When did you get them? what type of fish? whats your tank setup like? do you have pictures?

Tetras and 1 dwarf gourami. 3 Julli's, other 3 died a while ago after the General Cure. 

Temperature 77

75 gallon planted blackwater.

Inert sand substrate.

2 Eheim canisters, pro 4 and classic 350

Poppy lilly pipes.

No air stone.

4 minutes ago, Mmiller2001 said:

Tetras and 1 dwarf gourami. 3 Julli's, other 3 died a while ago after the General Cure. 

Temperature 77

75 gallon planted blackwater.

Inert sand substrate.

2 Eheim canisters, pro 4 and classic 350

Poppy lilly pipes.

No air stone.

I don't think they have paristies, if anything they seem skidish. And if the meds aren't working its because its not parasites. If you add more decor to that tank, it may help them come out more.

14 minutes ago, Colu said:

Flashing can be caused by inproper water conditions e.g  high nitirts or ammonia

I test daily. I did spike nitrates to about 50. But brought it to 25ish with small frequent water changes. The plants have caught up and they are naturally dropping now. 

I dug up 2 very large swords 2 weeks ago and replanted them. It spiked my nitrates. Could this be the cause? I was checking my ammonia and nitrite, they never spiked. But I also removed a quarter bucket of Frogbit. I usually have zero nitrates. The Gourami told me something was wrong. So I checked. Did 5 gallon water changes every day till it hit 20ish.

I am no expert, but I have some thoughts here.

1) Did you see the links below? Maybe they'll help.

2) If they don't help at all, then maybe consider the following: Have you checked the tap water that you add to the tank before adding? Do you treat it before adding it? Perhaps you need to add bacteria enhancers? Perhaps you need to add stress coat?

3) You have a beautiful tank. I really like it. However, I'm wondering if all the floating plants may be preventing oxygen from entering the water. I learned that what is necessary for oxygen to enter the water is movement at the surface of the tank. Maybe an air stone may help.

4) I didn't notice you mention what type of filter you have. What type do you have and how often do you clean it? Are you careful not to clean the filter pads with tap water, but rather with tank water?

5) I once say a video where the guy stated that he couldn't understand why his fish were dying even after treatment and multiple water changes. After a while he discovered that when he left the top off the fish stopped dying. Maybe try that?

i hope some of the things above are helpful to you. GOOD LUCK!

https://www.petco.com/shop/AjaxContentNavResultView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&contentPath=%2Fcontent%2Fpetco%2FPetcoStore%2Fen_US%2Fpet-services%2Fresource-center%2Fhealth-wellness%2FUnderstanding-Erratic-Swimming-in-Aquarium-Fish.html#:~:text=If your fish is flashing,a parasite known as Ich.&text=A fading in your fish's,of skin or gill flukes.

13 minutes ago, MaxM said:

I am no expert, but I have some thoughts here.

1) Did you see the links below? Maybe they'll help.

2) If they don't help at all, then maybe consider the following: Have you checked the tap water that you add to the tank before adding? Do you treat it before adding it? Perhaps you need to add bacteria enhancers? Perhaps you need to add stress coat?

3) You have a beautiful tank. I really like it. However, I'm wondering if all the floating plants may be preventing oxygen from entering the water. I learned that what is necessary for oxygen to enter the water is movement at the surface of the tank. Maybe an air stone may help.

4) I didn't notice you mention what type of filter you have. What type do you have and how often do you clean it? Are you careful not to clean the filter pads with tap water, but rather with tank water?

5) I once say a video where the guy stated that he couldn't understand why his fish were dying even after treatment and multiple water changes. After a while he discovered that when he left the top off the fish stopped dying. Maybe try that?

i hope some of the things above are helpful to you. GOOD LUCK!

https://www.petco.com/shop/AjaxContentNavResultView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&contentPath=%2Fcontent%2Fpetco%2FPetcoStore%2Fen_US%2Fpet-services%2Fresource-center%2Fhealth-wellness%2FUnderstanding-Erratic-Swimming-in-Aquarium-Fish.html#:~:text=If your fish is flashing,a parasite known as Ich.&text=A fading in your fish's,of skin or gill flukes.

My guess has always been flukes. I treat, it goes away, and some weeks later the flashing is back. It's textbook flashing.

I do keep a tight lid on the tank, I'll remedy that tonight. I've done it on my other tanks and I swear they seem "better".

I run 2 canisters. Both Eheim, 1 is the pro 4 and the other is a classic 350 that has a small amount of biological media, but I stuff it full of polyfil. The Pro 4 runs normal. I swap the polyfil every 5 days. I'll check the Pro Monday. It's only been running a month, but maybe it's dirty.

I use RO/DI mineralized. I'm a parameter junkie. I match all parameters and temperature before water changes.

The lid issue is excellent, thank you!

Will observe for a few more days before action.