Variable Water Flow Control ** Experiment ** ​ Β Β πŸ’§ β€‹πŸ’¦β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹πŸŒŠπŸ’¦β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹β€‹ ​ ​

I like to do experiments, modifications and build things, in general.Β  Having said that, I would like to share one with you.Β Β 

Β 

***Β  Β Note:Β  All information presented hereinΒ is for informational use only.Β  For safety reasons, do not imitate.Β  Β  ***Β Β 

Β 

Some of my aquariums have a fairly strong water flow that can make feeding time, for the fish, a bit difficult.

My foods for the fish are often times, of fine particles, and it doesn't take much water movement to make a mess.

Many filtration systems don't have adjustable flow outputs.Β 

Β 

So I was thinking, how about adjusting the power input?

Β 

By using a variable transformer, I can limit the amount of voltage fed to each aquarium filter.Β  It comes in handy during maintenance, feeding, etc.Β  The filter simply plugs into the the transforming unit.

The water can be slowed down to a trickle and then turned back up, when I wish, or simply left at a lower rate of flow.

It is a lot easierΒ than unplugging each filter individually and hoping they don't lose water prime.Β Β 

Β 

In the United States, 120 (volts alternating current) VAC is the common household voltage.Β  Plus or minus a few volts of course (dependent on many factors, of which I won't get into right now).

Β 

IMG_0641.JPG.310d368c7bde1fd3834f442aa9455a2c.JPG

Β 

Β 

You can see, by turning the variable dial, the input voltage is decreasing, thereby, slowing the water flow.

IMG_0642.JPG.c78262f3cf08a3bd03f3d8cdfaa4f6d8.JPG

Β 

Β 

And, a bit lower....

IMG_0643.JPG.cbba8791ee2f361a27bd0b57eec8a8f8.JPG

Β 

Β 

Β 

IMG_0645.JPG.a8f1bc37b796f0803279deb7f8ade8d3.JPG

Β 

Β 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

This is awesome.Β  Wish I had this type of creativity.Β  But to high tech for me. Mess around and electrocute myself lol. But I've bought a few clear soap dishes withΒ suction cups. I place soap dish right under the filter where the water comes out of. So far it working.Β  My Oto fry are able to swim back in fourth with ease. And you can place a coarse sponge in the dish for extra surface area.Β  Which i show in one of the pics.Β 

20200820_121536.jpg

20200820_121651.jpg

I always feel like a master electrician when I remember to and successfully install a toggle switch for the filtration and heaters. Much easier than trying to unplug stuff for feeding and water changes.Β 

I would have never attempted to adjust the voltage as I would imagine this is not good for the equipment and probably voids some warranties. But super interesting solution.