API Aquaspin - Digital Water Testing

Streetwise

I heard about this digital testing unit watching @Fish Room Fever tonight. Has anyone tried it? It looks like it might be marketed towards retail and maintenance operations.

I know we have some lab nerms here!

APIFISHCARE.COM

Presenting API AQUASPIN, a cutting-edge technology that combines speed and accuracy for the best aquarium and pond water analysis results anywhere, all in just two minutes!

aquaspin_meter.jpg

$150 per 50 discs. A lot of these tests I don't need to perform regularly.

Nitrate method is probably still cadmium or zinc reduction which is not-so-great.

MDL for ammonia is not good. Hach's ammonia MDL is 0.01 mg/L and nitrite 0.016 mg/L. Accuracy not so great either.

image.png.cdf2ce2c10f76df1a99e39f51af32d9a.png

Hach ammonia accuracy:

image.png.be6cfac984625741f5e0a4b1699c0fae.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul said:

It is expensive. So it runs from about $640.00 to just short of $900.00.

I guess I'll stick with the $30 liquid test kit then!! Plus you have to buy single-use disks at $150 for only 50? Yikes. How could anyone doing water testing as part of an aquarium maintenance business make any money with this? 

Not to speak for my LFS but making money on the testing was never in the reasoning for getting the machine. At $5 a test with a cost of $3 per disc you're looking at roughly 1300 to 1800 tests before breaking even on the machine.

It definitely makes an impact on customer service though. Results in 2 minutes vs 5, 10, 20 minutes makes a big difference along with a digital readout vs. refencing a color scale to a customer. Also, this frees up employees that are no longer tied up doing the testing that can now help customers. I dare say the employees are also a lot happier now that they don't have to do the dropper style testing.

In terms of accuracy, I believe it to be at least as accurate as the master test kits from what information I've found. Most likely it's more accurate since it removes 2 forms of human error often over looked: inconsistency with the drops and individual color perception variance. 

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

• Thanks 1