YIACrazy

I can't keep a betta splendins alive. I've got tanks of other fish with no problems. I want to blame my water chemistry. My water out of the tap has high pH an extremely low kH and but a reasonable gH. I understand that raising gH and kH raises pH. How can you have such a low kH, and relatively reasonable gH I heard that the the water "gasing off" changes things. I'm going to try testing water over several days, but basically I add a little salt and a wondershell/crush coral to buffer to try to keep these three parameters more consistent. They seem to drastically change gH with little relative change to kH. I keep my nitrates low with pothos and floating plants. I do fertilze with easy green. Can the change from dosing fertilizers be too much of a change? I see all these planted betta tanks... So people are successful. I noticed I lose less bettas if I change the water much more frequently... But if the plants take care of the nitrates... require fertilizers even... What does a water change do that the plants can't? I don't top off... When the water level starts to drop, I do a water change. I add liquid tannins...(a low dose at frequent intervals) Which I know is healthy, but it lowers pH. I used to use cattapa leaves, but I just take the tannins out because of the frequent water changes. At some point I tried to not use tannins. I didn't notice a difference in health. Is there something I'm missing about the benefits of a water change other than controlling nitrates? Why does salt help? Shouldn't it only be used for sick fish? I don't want to add a bunch of stuff. The only other thing I can think of is that frequent water changes means a constant presence of Prime. My tanks are cycled and always test negative for ammonia... I've tested for both bound and un-bound ammonia. The bettas don't die in a week. They do well for a while... It seems cumulative...

Thanks.

I used to keep a lot bettas and my routine was to change the water almost everyday (mainly because they were in 1/2 to 1 gallon jars). I always used aged (at least 24 hours), dechlorinated tap water with no other additives.

The less you add to water, the better it is for your fish.

12 hours ago, YIACrazy said:

Thanks. Someone mentioned something that has me paranoid. He mentioned that maybe I had mycobacterium in my tanks. I know nothing about this.

You undoubtedly do have all kinds of bacteria, microbes, fungus, and what not in your aquarium. I know I do. And thank goodness too because without that part of the world living in our aquariums our fish would die. Mycobacterium is just one more thing not to worry about.

• Like 1

How long do the bettas live before they start to have issues? What symptoms do they exhibit as they decline? Do you keep a journal of your water params to see if anything/what changes? How old is the tank?

I keep a betta in my 5 gallon planted tank, and the params are so consistently steady (0-5 nitrates) that I only ever water change when the mulm at the bottom gets a bit too much: it's mostly just top offs. Just use tap water conditioned with Prime,