Shrimp from Nowhere

Rosie

In my quarantine tank where there have been no adult shrimp - and any adult shrimp I had died 4 months ago, I’m finding tiny shrimp or tiny shrimp like insects? Is it possible that the adult shrimp - which I only had for a matter of weeks before they died, could have laid eggs on a moss ball? I can’t find any information that support volunteer shrimp.

They act like shrimp, swim like shrimp and I’m surprised at how aggressive they are with the snails!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Rosie

8E4FC542-C698-4C28-BE65-4B529AB4EF17.jpeg

F25C2E3D-BB56-423A-89E3-010E52A2AF2E.jpeg

Edited by Rosie

• Administrators

Spooky! I don't think shrimp eggs would survive that long away from the mother? I've not heard of it anyways. Is it possible you're looking at scuds or something similar?? They are crustaceans with similar antennae and shape to shrimp but way smaller. idk I've always got some kind of uninvited underwater critters in at least one of my tanks, I would not be shocked if scuds showed up one day too. Cory loves em! 😂

I suspect that perhaps they are scuds though I’d never heard of them before. They are quite entertaining. It gave me a bit of confidence that I’m growing something I didn’t even know existed.

And, yes, Lizzie, I agree with you that I’d be amazed if the eggs would survive that long from the mother. The Blue shrimp I had were very small and I very much doubted they could have had any eggs at all - not that I’d seen anyway.  Thanks for answering!!

Cool that Cory loves em!!

Thanks Ben and Daniel! It’s funny that now that I’m sure these aren’t shrimp, with the help of all of your input, I’m now figuring out what I want to do with this small tank of Amphipods. Introduce them into my Betta tank and Nano tank and see what happens? Someday soon I want to try shrimp again!!

Thanks again!