Ohio Ron

Thinking of adding a Dwarf Gourami(or two) to my 60 gal as centerpiece fish. Haven't pulled the trigger yet because I am hearing so many different opinions. Any more opinions you all would like to throw in to my research? 😀

Current stocking:

6 zebra danio(mix of glofish and a zebra); 8 tetra(white skirt, black skirt, glofish, and a Serpae); 7 Platy(mix of wags, mickey mouse, and 3 of my new faves - Green Lanterns). On the bottom we have 2 emerald and 2 albino corys and a Bristlenose Pleco.

Someone suggested 3 Dwarf Gourami, but I feel 2 would be the max - and I am not even sure about a second one. What y'all think? Is my 60 big enough for 2?

I am looking at a Powder Blue(for sure) and maybe another color for the second one(Flame or Neon).

Thanks for any input and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Aquarium1.jpg

NO DON'T DO IT!! AND DEFENETLEY NOT 3!!! 

I had one dwarf gourami that chased my fish around ALL DAY. It came to the point where my fish would hide behind the HOB filter all the time, and then come out for feedings. 

If you want a gourami get a honey goruami they are not as aggressive and just as pretty (maybe more).

If you want a feuture fish that aren't as aggressive as gouramis I would do,

Apistogramma or angelfish. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Fishmonger_X said:

I'd do just one. They kind of pop. I had one in a 29 with platies and tetras and he was great. He was the flashiest gut in the tank but he never seemed to care about the platy fry.

That is what I am hearing the most.(and leaning towards) One to make it pop.. I hadn't even considered a second one until someone else suggested it. Thanks!

11 minutes ago, James Black said:

NO DON'T DO IT!! AND DEFENETLEY NOT 3!!! 

I had one dwarf gourami that chased my fish around ALL DAY. It came to the point where my fish would hide behind the HOB filter all the time, and then come out for feedings. 

If you want a gourami get a honey goruami they are not as aggressive and just as pretty (maybe more).

If you want a feuture fish that aren't as aggressive as gouramis I would do,

Apistogramma or angelfish. 

Thanks for the input.  I have heard that this would be a possibility.  If I do go with one, I would only do it on a day where I would be available to keep my eye on the interactions withe other fishies..

13 minutes ago, FriendlyLoach said:

Multiple dwarfs will fight each other, you can have multiple honey gourami though. 

Thank you for the input. I have tried suggesting the Honeys to the wife, but she really likes the Powder Blue.. LOL.. I may just have to go with the 1 dwarf..

8 minutes ago, Ohio Ron said:

Thanks for the input.  I have heard that this would be a possibility.  If I do go with one, I would only do it on a day where I would be available to keep my eye on the interactions withe other fishies..

But three gourami are too much and they will aggressive with one another

• Like 1

Female powder blue should be fine. Male might be a risk. I wouldn’t do the ones sold as dwarf or flame unless you have a tank to put them in if it doesn’t work out. Female powder blue should work, though. Cory has done lots of videos talking about female powder blues.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, IanB said:

Female powder blue should be fine. Male might be a risk. I wouldn’t do the ones sold as dwarf or flame unless you have a tank to put them in if it doesn’t work out. Female powder blue should work, though. Cory has done lots of videos talking about female powder blues.

Ok... Thanks for the info.. I will check those videos out..

4 minutes ago, RyanR said:

We have a Dwarf Neon that's definitely am eye catcher in a tank with a swordtail, 2 red eye tetras and 2 dalmation molly's.  I was told that adding more than one if you tank isn't large enough can spell trouble.

Yeah... that's what I'm hearing too. How big is your tank?

1 minute ago, Ohio Ron said:

Yeah... that's what I'm hearing too. How big is your tank?

This is my youngest son's tank (6 yr old), so don't judge me too harshly....lol.  And he's getting a 29 for Christmas, by currently, those fish are in a 10 gallon 😳

Just now, RyanR said:

This is my youngest son's tank (6 yr old), so don't judge me too harshly....lol.  And he's getting a 29 for Christmas, by currently, those fish are in a 10 gallon 😳

Judgement-Free zone here on my part bro... LOL I'm only one year in the hobby, so I'm not judging anybody... 😀

I would say the 10 is definitely too small for a second dwarf. I think my footprint might be big enough on my 60, but I am not sure that I have enough cover for a 2nd Gourami.. The female idea might be the trick to do 2 though.. I'm still chewing on it..

Hello,

I recently bumped up the pearl gouramis in my 40 gallon breeder to eight.  I had a fairly large male, and added another small male and six small females (I hope; it's hard to tell when they're that small).  It's only been a couple weeks, but I'm really liking them and it seems to be go well.  The tank is heavily planted, so there's plenty of hiding places in case of any aggression, but I haven't noticed any so far, and it's not unusual to see all eight at the front of the tank hanging out, even when it's not feeding time.

Anyway, sorry for the novel, but I wanted to give you another option, and I'm a big fan of pearl gourami.  They're less likely to be aggressive than the dwarfs, and less prone to health problems, and I think are just as attractive, especially when they've gotten comfortable in a tank and matured a little.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, JettsPapa said:

Hello,

I recently bumped up the pearl gouramis in my 40 gallon breeder to eight.  I had a fairly large male, and added another small male and six small females (I hope; it's hard to tell when they're that small).  It's only been a couple weeks, but I'm really liking them and it seems to be go well.  The tank is heavily planted, so there's plenty of hiding places in case of any aggression, but I haven't noticed any so far, and it's not unusual to see all eight at the front of the tank hanging out, even when it's not feeding time.

Anyway, sorry for the novel, but I wanted to give you another option, and I'm a big fan of pearl gourami.  They're less likely to be aggressive than the dwarfs, and less prone to health problems, and I think are just as attractive, especially when they've gotten comfortable in a tank and matured a little.

Awesome... Thanks ! I really appreciate the info.. 👍

8 hours ago, Ohio Ron said:

Current stocking:

6 zebra danio(mix of glofish and a zebra); 8 tetra

I have a dwarf gourami with a similar mix of danios, tetras, and other species, and he looks and behaves like a grumpy retiree among unruly teenagers. There is no aggression, they are getting along fine, but the gourami just seems out of place. There is also a small energetic kissing gourami in the same tank and he fits the mood much better in my opinion (but he probably is not going to stay with the same tankmates long term).  

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, FriendlyLoach said:

Okay, so your could have several female power blues in there, but they are very hard to find and they can carry Dwarf Gourami disease. Or you could have many honey gouramis, which in my experience are chill. 

Honey Gouramis would be my choice as well. I just mentioned the female powder blues because Ron mentioned that HGs were a no-go with his wife.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, FriendlyLoach said:

Dwarf gouramis are like dogs, you could have a nice one or a mean one. It's all luck. Also if they look nice at the store, they could get mean when you bring them home. 

I hear you, my friend.. I have had some platy and danio glofish that were the same way. I took one danio back and saw it a couple of days later just swimming around happy-go-lucky... LOL... but he was a demon in my tank... 🤣

Edited by Ohio Ron

I have a male Dwarf gourami in my 29g with danios, swordtails and endlers. He doesn't bother them when I am watching and they don't seem to fear him so I don't think he chases them, but I am pretty sure he would eat any fry he could get ahold of. There's a lot of fish so I don't think he could focus on one even if he wanted to. I think these fish are like bettas have different personalities, so they don't all act the same.

Mine has tried to kill him self twice be getting stuck in some plastic decorations I had let float on the surface for the fry to hide in. I had to use scissors to cut the plastic off around him. I removed any structures like that from the tank.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update: 5 days in with 2 male Gourami. They both seem active and are assimilating well- so far😎 

Seems to be plenty of space and enough other fish. Even when they do run across each other, there is little interaction.

1214201812a.jpg

1214201804a.jpg

Edited by Ohio Ron

Glad to see they are working out.  I have has 2 cobalt blues in my 40 gal.  Every once in a while the larger one lets the little guy know he's the boss but its harmless interaction.  Sometimes they dance with each other to show dominance but nobody ever gets hurt.  Been a year now with no issuers.  

• Like 1