Common fish in the hobby that aren't beginner-friendly

StephenP2003

I've always been uncomfortable with pet shops that seem to have too many large cichlid species, arrowanas, bichirs, etc. In reality very few people can house these fish appropriately, and it seems like a firm commitment to supporting bad aquarists.

But absolute shame on pet shops who carry iridescent sharks, red tail catfish, pacus, true tank busters that should never be available in a neighborhood retail pet shop. I really feel that one should have to go to the trouble and expense of supporting a specialty boutique for these kinds of fish.

In the saltwater section, I feel bad when I see seahorses or mandarins (and related dragonets). They look great in the pet shop, and may even pick at a little food. But they will die on a near-term timeline unless the aquarist is culturing nutritious live foods.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2020 at 1:52 AM, HenryC said:

Golden Wonder Killifish: They will obliterate your small tetras, so many people learn this the hard way, cause this fish is so pretty and radiant, but it's a mini predator in disguise.

Just learned this lesson last week. I found some Golden Wonder Killifish finally. I have been wanting them for a while but none of my LFS had them. A couple weeks ago, I went in and saw 3 in a tank. I immediately was like I'll take them. Went home tossed them in my 29 with my harlequin tetras.... yep, they killed a bunch of them. So now I need to rebuild my school of tetras, and I have moved the killifish to my 125 with with the larger community fish. They are doing great now.... Lesson learned. 

• Sad 1